Kia Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm replacing all three belts and I found that the alternator belt seems to be too tight. I verified the part number and I believe it is the correct belt, Gates Part# K040350. I know the A/C belt is K040332 as I have the old belt so the belts aren't mixed up. The alternator tension adjustment is loosened all the way and the alternator can not move any further back. However, the belt doesn't seem to fit. I can't compare the belt to the old one due to it breaking and getting shredded. Has anyone run into this before?

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
I believe there are 2 different belts for the alternator...Depending on what alternator it has. Yes it's kind of tricky about that, I almost ran into similar when ordering up replacement belts for our 09, HAVE to know what option alt. you have. Sorry but I don't have the detailed info about how to tell handy.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info. I ended up having to stop working to attended to Dad Taxi duties. When I returned I decided to look at it again. I found that the alternator was actually not as far back as it could be but when I tried to push it back further the tension bracket was hitting on the top of the alternator just enough to keep it from moving. I then had an idea to remove the alternator and remount it already rotated passed the tension bracket. When I loosed the bottom nut I felt the alternator shift down slightly and lo and behold it would rotate pass the tension bracket.

The belt went on easily and after applying the tension I tightened everything back up. I started the car and let it idle for about 15 minutes and checked the tension again. Feels good. I'll recheck it again after driving it a bit.

Now all I have to do is:
1) Change front brakes and turn rotors.
a. Remove and replace broken wheel stud
2) Fix the windshield washer
3) Replace the driver door window switch
4) ????

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
About this Discussion
2 Replies
3 Participants
jhelmstetterjr
Kia Forum
Kia Forums is a community dedicated to all Kia models. Come discuss the Kia Sorento, Rio, Sportage, Soul and more!
Full Forum Listing