Kia Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Group,
I have been searching this site for a write up on changing the timing belt on the 2006 Spectra 4-cyl. engine. It has 109k on it and has had regular maint. besides the timing belt. I am going to change the BELT and WATER PUMP.
I would really appreciate a link to a write up with pictures. Links where the FSM is followed are preferred.
Thanks in advance team!!

·
Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
6,922 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Blue Kia Spectra5 and a 96 Turbo Honda civic and a 99 subaru outback with a 2.5 rs turbo motor
265 Posts
It fairly easy to replace the timing belt on this type of cars.
here is what i did and how i replaced my timing belt just the belt i reused the tensioner idler pulley and did not replace the water. I am that type of person if its not broken dont replace it. in the exception of the belts and such.

things you need:
22mm, 10mm socket and open wrech, 12mmsocket and open wrech, 13mm,14mmsocket and open wrech,15mm,17mm and if you have extra 40 bucks laying around go to harbor freight and buy you an electric impact, 2 jack stands ruler and nail polish yellow preffered

1)remove all accessory belts(AC, Alternator and power steering belt)
2)unbolt the power steering pump and resseviour and ziptie it to the radiator support by headlight ti give you more room to access the timingbelt and other smal bolts
3)jack the car upon the passenger side and take the front passenger side wheel off
4)get the second jack and a piece of wood to jack the oil pan up. lift it up about an inch
5)remove passenger side motor mounts inlcuding the one attach to the engine
6)jack the engine up some more so you can access the pulley thats attach to the water pump
7) remove pulley with 10m socket you might have to get a fry bar to hold the pulley from spinning and use an open end to break the bolt free
8)now get your 10mm socket and take the top timing belt cover off(4 bolts that hold the top cover) remove the dust cover off from the front passenger side (2 10 mm bolts)
9)get the 22mm socket and impact and remove the crank bolt off
10)remove the crank pulley off
11)remove lower timing belt cover off with 10mm socket(i think there is 4 or 5 10mm bolts holding it im not sure i forgot)
12)now its time to take a break lol
13)get your yellow nail polish and ruler and mark the bottom of the crank to the block and cam gear to the top of the vavle cover ( i did not have to make sure the the timing is TOP DEAD CENTER like most people on here do but if you feel like you should do it there is a yellow/white marking on the camgear for you to line up on the block for you to know its topdead center)
14)get your 13mm or 14mm socket and loosen the timing belt tensioner you might have to remove it completely to get the timing belt off
15)remove the timing belt
16)replace new timing belt
17)when installing timing belt make sure its kinda snugg on the right side where the idler pulley is and it dont have to be tight just snugg and make sure to constantly look at your markings to make sure that it did not move( i had to move the camgear to the left a bit when i was installing the belt because it moved in the proccess) also most timing belt is directional make sure to check it before you install it
18) reinstall tensioner and make sure ther is about 1/8 inch tension of the belt on the idler pulley side and tighter on the tensioner side
19)check your markings again make sure evrything is in place and lined up
20) re-install lower timing cover
21)re-install crank pulley and dont forget the washer/crank cover before installing the crank pulley
22) and the rest is pretty much putting everything back together.

·
Registered
1 Posts

·
Registered
06 Sedona LX, 06 Sedona EX, 14 Forte EX, 11 Sportage EX, 11 Forte 5-door SX, 15 K900 VIP+
1,143 Posts
How do you get 130lbs of torque on the crank shaft bolt with out the motor turning?
I'm new to this, hope I am asking the right person lol
Cram a pry bar in the tranny access hole to stop the flywheel from turning. Not the greatest advice, I admit, but it works.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'm new and just went through this with my daughters which had 99K on it. DO NOT START THIS CAR UNTIL YOU CHANGE THE BELT! My daughters broke. It could have been much worst. As to the bolt, my cheapo impact driver from Harbor Freight took it off and put it on without needing to lock the flywheel.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts