Kia Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Kia Sedona
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2006 Sedona 3.8 with 91,000 miles on it. The steering froze up while driving. The wheel will turn but it is very difficult. I saw a couple of videos on U-Tube saying the problem was a simple fix by lubricating the steering shaft joints with a penetrating lubricant. I found 2 steering shaft joints under the dash and where the shaft goes through the floorboard. Lubricated both joints ans worked the wheel both left and right full lock for several minutes to no avail. Any thoughts as to what else the problem could be?
Thank you

·
Registered
06 Grand Carnival
381 Posts
The 3.8 sedonas do not have the frozen U joint issue. could be
Low on power steering fluid,
Broken serpintine belt,
Serpintine tensioner gone bad causing P/S pump not to turn,
P/S pump frozen,
P/S rack no good,

A few things to check, if were me i would start at the top and work down.

·
Registered
2006 Kia Sedona
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Belt is OK. Tensioner is ok. Pump is turning. I am going to check the P/S reservoir to see if the screen is dirty. If that isn't the problem, I think the rack might be bad. When you put a little steering input into it, I hear a hissing noise.

·
Registered
09 kia spectra ex,04 Neon,04 Chry. T&C, 08 Pontiac G6 gt
2,348 Posts
Along with the recommendations of post #2.
Did the steering just all of a sudden do this, or had you been getting a "hard" steering effort and belt squeal when cold (first start) for some time?
Our Spectra did this and then progress to the first mile of driving, I flushed out the original P/S fluid and renewed with fresh and No further concern.
Left too long like that, it can damage the internals of the pump even though the pulley may spin normally the guts inside the pump are shot.

·
Registered
2006 Kia Sedona
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the input. It was all of a sudden. No belt squeal. No warning at all.

·
Registered
2006 Kia Sedona
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Postscript. I just did a little poking around and noticed yellowish sludge coming from the pump and running down the pump and onto the frame rails. Next I noticed the fluid level was low. The first thing I did was fill the reservoir when the problem started. Bad Pump?

·
Registered
09 kia spectra ex,04 Neon,04 Chry. T&C, 08 Pontiac G6 gt
2,348 Posts
Postscript. I just did a little poking around and noticed yellowish sludge coming from the pump and running down the pump and onto the frame rails. Next I noticed the fluid level was low. The first thing I did was fill the reservoir when the problem started. Bad Pump?
Pump or leaking line at the pump. Can you see if the leak was at the pulley shaft area? there is a seal just like for the engine's crankshaft there and could have gone bad. Either way if not from the backside of the pump and from the front(pulley)side...I'd strongly suggest a replacement pump. At least you can rule out a bad rack and pinion for now.

·
Registered
2006 Kia Sedona
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So the steering issue saga continues. I replaced the power steering pump. No change whatsoever. The steering is extremely hard to turn. More so than if it wasn't equipped with power steering. So, whats left? Replace the rack and hoses? Thanks

·
Registered
2019 Kia Sportage. SX with AWD. 2.0L Direct Injected Turbocharged & Intercooled Gas.
740 Posts
Racks are rather expensive. A rebuilt one may be avail.

With the vehicle front end off the ground (on jack stands) and engine running, in park, try to turn the wheel. Emergency brake applied and rear wheels blocked.
Is it easier?
Turn the wheel fully lock to lock both directions. Any noise or catching felt in the wheel?
Try to turn the tires while engine off with the front end in air. (front tires off the ground.)
Wiggle the tire back and forth side to side. Do this on both sides of vehicle.
Any difference? Anything you can describe that might indicate a rack problem??
Can you hear your new ps pump operating while you do this?

·
Registered
2019 Kia Sportage. SX with AWD. 2.0L Direct Injected Turbocharged & Intercooled Gas.
740 Posts
Of course you filled the new pump with the correct fluid and hooked the lines up properly??

·
Registered
2006 Kia Sedona
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Racks are rather expensive. A rebuilt one may be avail.

With the vehicle front end off the ground (on jack stands) and engine running, in park, try to turn the wheel. Emergency brake applied and rear wheels blocked.
Is it easier?
Turn the wheel fully lock to lock both directions. Any noise or catching felt in the wheel?
Try to turn the tires while engine off with the front end in air. (front tires off the ground.)
Wiggle the tire back and forth side to side. Do this on both sides of vehicle.
Any difference? Anything you can describe that might indicate a rack problem??
Can you hear your new ps pump operating while you do this?
Installed correctly. Fluid full. Even with the wheels off the ground, the steering wheel is difficult to turn.

·
Registered
2006 Kia Sedona
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Installed correctly. Fluid full. Even with the wheels off the ground, the steering wheel is difficult to turn.
When I put slight input pressure to the left on the steering wheel, I hear a hissing sound that appears to be coming from the steering rack near where the u joint to the steering colum.
I can get a rebuilt rack installed for $350.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts