Kia Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2006 Sedona that has power steering whining. Mechanic is stumped, they have cleaned the screen out, bled the system, used a vacuum pump on it to make sure there is no air in the system. It still whines and you can hear it more inside the cabin than outside. Any ideas? It gets louder when turning or turning the steering wheel to it's limits on both sides. There is no issue with steering, as in, it is not difficult to turn but it is so annoying to listen to. Fluid levels are also good, no leaks. Thanks in advance! :confused:

·
Registered
10 Optima LX, 07 Rondo EX, 89 Chevy C1500
1,411 Posts
Maybe the pump is bad? Also could be the idler pulley and not the power steering at all. If the idler pulley is really bad, it sounds just like a bad PS pump.

·
Registered
2006 Kia Sedona 1997 Land Rover Discovery
145 Posts
Bad PS pump, bearings are going bad, eventually they will seize and shred the belt.

·
Registered
1999 Kia Sephia, 2016 Kia Optima SXL, 2019 Kia Soul Plus
1,110 Posts
I have a 2006 Sedona that has power steering whining. Mechanic is stumped, they have cleaned the screen out, bled the system, used a vacuum pump on it to make sure there is no air in the system. It still whines and you can hear it more inside the cabin than outside. Any ideas? It gets louder when turning or turning the steering wheel to it's limits on both sides. There is no issue with steering, as in, it is not difficult to turn but it is so annoying to listen to. Fluid levels are also good, no leaks. Thanks in advance! :confused:
Have the mechanic check the A/C idler pulley. It will be the pulley with a cap on it. He'll need to remove the cap, run the engine and put a mechanics stethescope on the bolt to hear it. When the bearings go out, it sounds exactly like a bad power steering pump. The replacement is a metal pulley from Kia.

·
Registered
263 Posts

How many miles on the car?

Has the power steering fluid been changed on a regular basis, or was the car running the same fluid it was shipped with?

How much debris in the screen?

Usage= what is the ratio of city to hwy? (curious)

Just as a reference, when I was under a 2007 with less than 48,000 miles, I noticed it had a remanufactured sticker on power steering rack.
(Indicating it had gone bad already.)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts