Kia Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Sedona
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Autozone tested the alternator and ran a diagnostic and said everything was fine.

Going to drive it to work tomorrow and test the battery occasionally to see what it does.

·
Registered
2006 Sedona
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
12.37 off before I drove to work with no AC

12.89 off when I got to work

12.47 off when I left work for lunch

12.36 off at home after driving with AC

12.03 off back at work after driving with AC

Is the AC drawing too much power?

·
Registered
2011 Forte SX 2.4L (thankfully MPI) A/T 144K miles
1,404 Posts
.... Is the AC drawing too much power?
I don't think too much power is the issue, because the alt should be able to easily keep up with the extra usage.

One of the things I mentioned earlier is the possibility that the compressor is starting to seize, which in turn could adversely affect the ability of the alt to charge the battery, due to a drag on the serpentine belt. You could check that by removing the belt off that pulley and taking a look at how freely it's spinning.

·
Registered
2006 Sedona
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Thanks.

I'm assuming this leads to the same conclusion. I'll take a look.

12.2 Left work
12.47 stop
12.27 went home
12.5 home

·
Registered
2006 Sedona
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
So the car had no issues for 10 days. I didn't use the AC or radio but no problems.

Today I drove to the gas station, then drove to work to pick up my check and then drove home with no issues.

45-60 mind later it wouldn't start. First time I've had that issue since replacing the battery. Measured at 11.6. I jumped it and Left the cables on for a bit. Then I drove it to my parents and left it running while I went in to grab some tools. When I came back out it was running, but all the dash lights were on and it wouldn't shift.

We put the battery charger on it and got it back up to 12.8. Then we tested for parasitic drains. We kept starting at .51, but then it would drop off to .21 as we held the leads.

We tested it while running and it was in the 13s and 14s. I took it for a test drive and it charged while I was driving. Then I watched it for an hour and it very slowly was dropping back down towards normal. I drove it back home and it charged up again. I removed the terminals for the night since I don't know why it's draining.

Any new ideas?

·
Registered
2011 Forte SX 2.4L (thankfully MPI) A/T 144K miles
1,404 Posts
.... We tested it while running and it was in the 13s and 14s. ...
You previously said the meter readings were 11.6-11.9 while running. Can you think of anything different during the 13-14 readings versus the previous much lower voltages? It should always be reading 13-14, so whatever is causing the lower voltage is probably the issue with your vehicle.

Did you remove the serpentine belt and check the A/C pulley (actually all of the pulleys) as I suggested previously? Also, has a voltage drop test been done on all the big wires?

·
Registered
2006 Sedona
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
I need to check that. Now that readings are back lower and it's draining the battery again. Out of the last five times I've driven it only one time did the battery end up higher than where it started.
You previously said the meter readings were 11.6-11.9 while running. Can you think of anything different during the 13-14 readings versus the previous much lower voltages? It should always be reading 13-14, so whatever is causing the lower voltage is probably the issue with your vehicle.

Did you remove the serpentine belt and check the A/C pulley (actually all of the pulleys) as I suggested previously? Also, has a voltage drop test been done on all the big wires?

·
Registered
2006 Sedona
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Here's an update. I replaced the throttle body since it would only cost me about $50 and that was the code I kept getting. Not much change. Ran tests on it again and they said I needed to replace the alternator and valve covers (oil leaked all over the alternator).

I have the new alternator in. Just trying to get the belt back on. Lol.

·
Registered
2006 Sedona
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Everything is great. I've been driving it for most of the afternoon, the only thing I've noticed is I have no control over the front fan speed. The rear control works perfectly fine, but nothing I do with the front control changes anything.

·
Registered
2006 Sedona
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
I forgot I had removed a fuse so that the dome light and stuff didn't turn on. Turns out and if I said that fan control as well. Now everything is good

·
Registered
2006 Sedona
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
just wanted to update. Still running fine with the new alternator. Still have a slow oil leak, so I take the van to the car wash every 4-6 weeks and spray it off with the engine wash. One time I waited too long and the van was dead when I went to start it. I jumped it and took it to the car wash and 2 months later we are still good.

·
Registered
Sedona '02
141 Posts
just wanted to update. Still running fine with the new alternator. Still have a slow oil leak, so I take the van to the car wash every 4-6 weeks and spray it off with the engine wash. One time I waited too long and the van was dead when I went to start it. I jumped it and took it to the car wash and 2 months later we are still good.
Just to let you know, if you have a leak on the back valve cover (close to firewall), the oil could drip down to the exhaust pipes and will get burned smoke (blue color) rise from the back side between firewall and engine. I replaced mine and the smoke stopped right away.

The front gasket is very easy to do. Remove just a few things around it and unbolt and you can replace it. Should do it soon. You don't have to remove the spark plugs - just the ignition coils.

The gasket gets hard due to age and heat and will not properly seal the valve covers.

Another reason the gaskets fail is due to bad PCV valve. Clogged PCV valve will build high pressure in the valve area and will leak between the gaskets. They are really cheap and easy to replace. I would replace the PCV valve. While at it, buy a few so you can change them out often.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts