Kia Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting my gas tank coated today(2012 Oct 2) on my 2006 Kia spectra. Replacement tank is $700. Coating was cheaper and I'm selling this car the first chance I get.

I started smelling gas when I filled up and my garage found that my gas tank was leaking around the filler neck which was rusted.

Strange there wasn't a recall on this. But I did have my gas tank straps replaced under a recall. Maybe someone messed up the recall.

·
Super Moderator
1995 Procharged Mustang Cobra, 2021 Sportage EX
4,574 Posts
So you think someone messed up when they replaced your straps? What do you think happened? Somehow, someway, they made the tank rust out faster than normal? Where do you live? Your gas tank is $439.00 here in the USA.

·
Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
6,938 Posts
JB Weld works well on gas tank necks and is less than $10.
Repaired my son's 95 Neon filler tube and it was rock solid.
Dave

·
Registered
10 Optima LX, 12 Sedona LX
1,414 Posts
I'm getting my gas tank coated today(2012 Oct 2) on my 2006 Kia spectra. Replacement tank is $700. Coating was cheaper and I'm selling this car the first chance I get.

I started smelling gas when I filled up and my garage found that my gas tank was leaking around the filler neck which was rusted.

Strange there wasn't a recall on this. But I did have my gas tank straps replaced under a recall. Maybe someone messed up the recall.
Nobody messed up, it just rusted. It happens.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm in Canada. And I don't think anyone messed up, except maybe the person who made the recall notice. A gas tank shouldn't rust out when it it is 6 years old.

Yeah in Canada we usually pay 50% more for products, because they know they can get away with it. If you add shipping and tax on a gas tank from the states, it would bring it close to 700.

·
Registered
2007 kia Spectra ex, 5 speed
20 Posts
look up recall for your car .. there is a recall on some gas tanks for that reason . depends where you live ..

1 - 6 of 6 Posts