Kia Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had a good poke round a pre-production 2006 model Rio.
Vast improvemment over the old models, lots of kit, fit and finish a huge step forward, should be a winner. :460:

·
Registered
2003 Kia Sorento
606 Posts
Not a bad car at all. Almost the size of the Spectra. It will be released to dealers in the states this week.

·
Registered
282 Posts
I've driven the new Rio. No Rio5s available; only sedans.

Driving impression- compared to others in its class, I thought it was the best. It feels bigger than it is in terms of handling. The xA has a very firm, even harsh, ride. The Aveo's ride is too soft and leans heavily in turns. the Rio is the perfect comromise between the two. Very much in control, but you don't feel any harshness. The AT shifts crisply but does not jerk you around; the engine whines on heavy acceleration but is much quieter than the xA on moderate acceleration (like the dreaded freeway onramp downshift). The interior is definitely on a budget, but is a **** lot nicer than the 95 Aspire (Kia Avella in other parts of the world) I just sold. Better than the Aveo, too. Different from the xA, so I guess that's a matter of taste.

Price-wise, though, it's no bargain. There are lots of incentives and rebates on the 05 models but nothing buy owner loyalty on the 06 Rio. As a result, I can get a Spectra5 for less than a similarly equipped Rio5. If that changes soon, though, I might buy the Rio5 over the Spec5; I honeslty liked it better.

The biggest drawback to me was the rear seat. There is enough room for short trips, but not long ones for my six-foot sons. But seeing as it's mostly a commuter for me, I could live with that.

·
Registered
2006 Kia Rio5 Sport
22 Posts
i sign for a 05 Toyota Echo (Yaris), but after a cheap services, i get my depot back, and on the road back home i saw the Rio5 at my local dealer... Stop by, look at the car, really nice looking, etc... After a test drive with a Rio5 Ex Commodity standard, i just can say that the car is more powerful and larger than the Toyota, the interior finishing is really solid and well done, a lot of space in front as in the rear, my impression is clear, the Kia Rio HB is 110% better then the Toyota...

So i sign in for a Rio5 Ex Sport model, graphite color. I expect to receive it in a month, cause no Sports models where available in Quebec-Canada

·
Registered
1 Posts
I also looked at the Toyota Yaris, but I think the front of the car is too round. It reminds me of an egg shape.

I Leased my rio5 5 door and I'm still waiting for it to arrive.

Should be here in about a week and a half. I've been waiting since Oct 1.

Got it in Sapphire, Auto, Convenience package.

I did test drive it and it is very fun to drive.

One problem I did notice is when you turn off the car, there's some odor coming from the engine which you can smell inside the car...

The dealer said it was only for the first 2000 km....

I hope so..

I currently drive a 2002 elantra VE and it has so many electrical problems inside the car... passenger lock doesn't engage/disengage anymore... radio/lcd clock turn off randomly... driver's side window rolls down by itself... lol

I hope KIA doesn't produce this kind of product, even if they're owned by Hyundai...

·
Registered
1 Posts
well, my first post here :)
I saw the Rio5 the day it was out at my local dealer and I find this little car very interesting, it will certainly be my next car, however I am going to wait for the 0%/60 months we often have in Canada and if everything go nicely, next summer I'll buy one, the Rio5 EX Sport in orange colour, pretty nice :)
A question for optik, you paid 17210$ which include what? 16995$ for the car + 100$ for a/c tax + RDPRM + some tax on tires? did you negociate your car? ask for some options like 15" wheels or window tint? etc. Thanks :)

·
Registered
2006 Kia Rio5 Sport
22 Posts
no taxes includes in my price, only the car (Ex Sport) and a graphite colour (125$ extra fee for metallized paint). i did bargain it, but cannot do much than that... the Ex model and the Ex Commodity is more bargainnable than the Sport one that came full equip, even with the heated seat! hope to receive her this week!

·
Registered
2005 Kia Spectra
183 Posts
I figured out that $17,210 CDN is $14,462 US using $1.19 as the exchange rate (CDN -> US).

That's BEFORE taxes according to Optik. That pricing here in the U.S. would push the Rio5 up in realm of other capable vehicles once the taxes and destination are applied.

Did your $17,210 CDN even include KIA's destination charge Optik?

I like what I've seen of the Rio5 so far ( a few quirks not withstanding ), and I *love* my 2004.5 Spectra EX. I'm just afraid that mid $15k pricing in the U.S. puts the Rio5 into a "must comparison shop" mode with other good products available in our market.

The won exchange rate increase must finally be catching up with Korean products.

-SM

·
Registered
2006 Kia Rio5 Sport
22 Posts
the shipping fee is already majored in the price, like almost every new car sold in Canada. they try to charge you twice most often, making real profite... and i must repeat, the price that i paid is for a Rio5 Sport full equip, A/C, heated seat for our snowy winter, fog light, wing, red interior, 14" wheel with P185-65-R14, etc... (as called Rio5 Ex Sport here in Canada)

·
Registered
2006 Kia Rio
11 Posts
WOW - that is a steal !!!!

here , in SG , I pay US33400 for the car. BASIC !!! no air bags , no ABS , no adjustable steering , no motorized side mirror etc.

Only the car , rims and leather upholstery.

So , guess you all have it nice !!!! I could buy 2 if I were in the US !!!! and still have enough to get options !!!!

Enjoy it whilst you can !

:banana:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi everyone, I'm new to this forum! I'm looking into buying a Kia's Rio5 Hatchback Auto with convenience package in Ontario. He quoted a price of $20,000CAD after tax (15%) which I still have to bargain with him. Perhaps another -$1000 to $500 maybe? We'll see.

I've also test drove a Yaris...still debating if I should get a Yaris or Rio5. Leaning more towards Rio5 b/c it's more equipped with a lesser price. Also, it is more quiet with better grip when I turn. I was a little startled how the Yaris is so unstable when I was test driving it on the 403 highway. (I had 4 pax in the yaris)

Finally, I'm originally from Vancouver so I don't know much about Eastern Canada's winters....I'm planning on getting a white one...is it a wise choice? (ppl have been telling me the salt and snow will get to u...)

Thanks everyone.

·
Registered
4 Posts
You should be fine. Just remember to have your wind shield washer fluid always topped off.

I just got a the 4-door 2006 Rio 3 days ago, and loving it!

Has anybody tried to open up the console to get at the radio? I'll be installing my XM Radio this week, and wouldn't want to snap (ie- break) something off in the first week ;)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts