Kia Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
06 Kia Rio, 04 sebring, 86 Samurai, 84 Chevy 3/4 ton 4x4, 79 Trans am, 65 Cehvy 1/2 ton
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all!
I am new to the site! I have an issue with my 06 rio5 not starting. It will sometimes start great, no hesitation, no slow cranking, but other times it won't do anything. The dash lights are on, but the odometer isn't. the car starts fine when the odometer shows, but it won't when it's not. When the key is turned, it completely kills everything. No click, no lights, horn, signals, nothing. It had a new battery, it's charging at 13.5 volts. It is a very intermittent problem. It can start with no issues, but 5 mins later it won't!

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Jamie

·
Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
6,928 Posts
Look for bad grounds from battery (-) negative terminal to the body/frame.
Clean the battery terminals and leads .
Follow the (+) positive leads (there should be two) the smaller one will go to the under hood fuse box and will be bolted to a large fuse (around 80 amps) this connection is also a problem maker. Make sure that the connection(s) are clean and tight and add some silicon grease under them when you take them apart to keep the water and salt out. The under hood fuse box also "feeds" the fuse box/panel inside the car also so that could cause your Odometer/dash/horn problems...
Hope this helps...
Dave

·
Registered
2007 Rio5, 2012 Sorento EX-V6
113 Posts
I would also check the ground strap from the passenger side strut tower to the engine. Mine turned green And brittle as it corroded and I just bumped it while under the hood one day, and tore enough of the metal to prevent enough current from getting through to the starter. Replace it if it is like this and it will probably help/fix it. Good luck!

·
Registered
06 Kia Rio, 04 sebring, 86 Samurai, 84 Chevy 3/4 ton 4x4, 79 Trans am, 65 Cehvy 1/2 ton
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If it was a constant thing, I would understand a bad ground, but this is a hit and miss problem. The horn, dash and lights only don't work when the car won't turn over...the rest of the time it's all good. I can start it now, with everything being ok, but 10 minutes later, you put the key in the ignition, no chime, and when you go to start the car, everything goes dead, like the battery isnt connected. Yet another 10 minutes go by, and all is great again!

·
Super Moderator
6,928 Posts
What you are describing is just what we said... It doesn't have to be a constant "dead car" and a single bump or jar can cause the ground to break free. Bad connections can be caused by bumps, temperature changes, a change in humidity, almost anything.
Most bad grounds are NOT constant and will drive one crazy looking for it.
I would also check what Tuscani922 suggested.
You came here for suggestions and possible answers...take the time to at least try some of the proven "cures" that KIA owners have found.
Dave

·
Registered
2007 Rio5, 2012 Sorento EX-V6
113 Posts
Yup, the reason everything goes dead is because all other circuits are disconnected during the start part of the ignition, so all cranking amps are dedicated to the starter. Even with the ground strap, it was intermittant. Depending on how it was positioned would make it start or not, even though it was fully connected and not rusted at either end. If your battery is fine, then there are only so many components inbetween, but check for voltage at the starter while in the start position, if it's there, then it's a current problem, most likely caused by one of the items mentioned above. Good luck

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I checked all the connections, wires, grounds, and found a few loose connections. I tightened them up and it seems to be working fine now!
DavesSpectra- it wasn't that I was trying to dismiss your idea or the idea of Tuscani922, i was trying to understand why it was intermittent. Thank you very much for your help!
Jamie

·
Super Moderator
6,928 Posts
rellik...(Jamie)
Thank you for being honest on your findings... This will serve to help others.
I hope you have many years of reliable service from your RIO...
Don't forget to read up on your car also...lots of good things to know.
Be sure to replace your timing/cam belts every 60k miles (or 5years)...
We need good honest men around her to help others...Stay awhile!
Dave

1 - 8 of 8 Posts