Kia Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just got a 2006 Optima LX 4cyl, I'm not sure if it's the 2006 or 2006.5. It has over 130k miles on it and I am going to be refilling all the fluids and replacing all the filters. Basic preventative maintenance. I've heard that this car may have either a timing belt or chain and was wondering if there is any way to know for sure (besides looking at the car, I don't have it with me at the moment). If it has a belt, I want to replace it.

If it helps, the VIN is KNAGE123165025656

Also, while I'm at it, is there anything else that should be replaced based on the age and milage of the vehicle?

Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
1995 Procharged Mustang Cobra, 2021 K5 GT Line
4,798 Posts
You have a chain. Your Optima was built on 01-16-2006, meaning you have the 2006.

·
Registered
27 Posts
One way to tell that is almost always accurate if a car has a belt or a chain is to look at the timing assembly covers on the front of the motor.
If the covers are plastic it's a good bet you have a belt under there.
If the covers are metal it's a good bet you have a chain under there.

Given the age and mileage of your new car I'd make sure the struts are in good shape and replace if need be.
Also don't forget to take a good look at your CV boots while you're under there.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.