Kia Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, folks.

The AC in my Optima is dead. Here are the facts:
  • Last year I replaced the condenser. Worked great through the rest of the summer/fall seasons, vent temps as low as 38F.
  • Low-side pressure is OK.
  • Condenser fans engage when I switch on the A/C.
  • Compressor does not engage.
  • Ventilation fan works normally.
  • I have 13.4V at the compressor fuse.
  • There is a single wire that runs to the compressor clutch. I assume that this wire would carry 12V when the AC is on, but there are only a few mV.
Thanks for any suggestions or advice.

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
Hi, folks.

The AC in my Optima is dead. Here are the facts:
[*]I have 13.4V at the compressor fuse.
[*]There is a single wire that runs to the compressor clutch. I assume that this wire would carry 12V when the AC is on, but there are only a few mV.
[/LIST]

Thanks for any suggestions or advice.
That wire is what engages the A/C clutch to the compressor / turns on the A/C compressor.

If you have (0) volts at the wire when the A/C switch is on, you have an electrical issue between the A/C switch -> the compressor clutch.

Typically there is a pressure switch in the Receiver/Dryer that in-turn feeds switching voltage to an A/C 'cut' relay - the purpose of this Relay is to 'cycle' the A/C when the switch is on / so the compressor does not over-pressurize the system,

that is an area to check - the wiring at the Receiver/Dryer and the A/C cut relay,

the A/C system also employs a temp. probe, usually mounted on the evaporator inside the heater box in the passenger cabin - the temp. probe 'usually' is tied into the vehicle ECM, and in-turn provides relay switching to the A/C cut relay to energize / or turn off the A/C compressor clutch.

--
I would recommend starting off at the A/C compressor clutch power connection in the engine compartment and testing voltage at the connection plug, and doing a continuity test on the compressor clutch wire between the connector -> to the clutch itself: it is not unusual for the wiring to flex/break over time, I'd start there,

And signup at the kiatechinfo website (see my sig.) using Internet Explorer, where you can view the ETM schematics for your vehicle that would help in troubleshooting the issue if you decide to repair yourself,

Regards,
GottaCruise

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
GottaCruise,

Thanks for the reply, and I'm sorry for the late acknowledgement!

I finally got around to testing again, and I in fact DO have voltage to the compressor. No joy. Just to be certain, I ran 12V direct from the battery to the connector, and it still wouldn't engage.

Any additional thoughts?

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
The wiring that runs to the A/C compressor clutch may be at fault - a common issue on the Sportys here..

Recommend -carefully- removing a section of outer insulation -> exposing a bit of wire 4-6 inches from compressor clutch, use a small alligator clip w/ lead wire attached, and test voltage from that location:

If you are getting +12v to the firewall connector, and (0) volts from the test point, the issue is definitely in the wiring,

If you get (+12) volts from the test point, suspect a wiring issue past the test point -> at or within the A/C compressor clutch..

*Alternate method: if you do not want to cut the outer insulation jacket, recommend using a long needle, such as those used for heavy denim / leather repair and/or cross-stitch, flux and solder a 16-14 gauge wire lead onto the end, insulate appropriately = presto, instant pin probe. :D

( And I wonder why my wife scrambles to hide her sewing kit when I say I need to do some electrical testing on the vehicles.. ;) )

... With the pin probe you should be able to pierce the outer insulation jacket at an angle, make wiring contact.. This will at least help you narrow the issue down towards the compressor clutch,

Regards,
GottaCruise

·
Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
6,924 Posts
The clutch is nothing more than an electromagnet device..
It requires two connections...One (ground) is connected internally to the compressor's body...The other is the clutch enable wire...
You said that by putting 12v (from the battery) on doesn't allow it to engage...
You have a bad clutch coil....Pretty common problem and not too easy to resolve beyond replacing the Compressor and Clutch as an assembly...
They make clutch kits but replacing it alone is a bit#h.
See...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-AC-CLUTCH-COIL-2001-2006-HYUNDAI-SANTA-FE-SONATA-/251113706224?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Year:2006|Model:Optima&hash=item3a778b12f0&vxp=mtr

Try reading this "Hyundai" post from pemdas1972
Pretty close to the bottom
http://www.hyundai-forums.com/195-sm-2001-2006-santa-fe/109610-ac-op.html
Dave

1 - 6 of 6 Posts