Kia Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a 2006 spectra5 that isn't getting voltage from the alternator. I replaced the alternator 4 different with different brands every time, its not the alternator. I just put a new NAPA alternator and when i first put it in it was reading at 13.4v took it for a drive and when i came back it was reading at 12v. I've replaced the bettery twice I even replaced the ECU, nothing is working i checked the ground all the fuses and everything, I have no idea what is causing this. I really need help on this. I checked all my wires sanded the ground and everything. If anyone has any idea whats going on please help

·
Registered
2011 Forte SX 2.4L (thankfully MPI) A/T 144K miles
1,505 Posts
I have a 2006 spectra5 that isn't getting voltage from the alternator. I replaced the alternator 4 different with different brands every time, its not the alternator. I just put a new NAPA alternator and when i first put it in it was reading at 13.4v took it for a drive and when i came back it was reading at 12v...
Actually that 13.4V reading indicates the alt is charging the battery. Sounds like maybe something is drawing the battery down. Have you done a voltage drop on the big battery wires, including the starter wire?

·
Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
6,924 Posts
Been there.... Done that....
The 13.4 volts was the reading from the charged battery and NOT the alternator... The battery was slowly discharging as you drove down to your 12v reading...

The ground wire from the engine to the body has corrosion where it attaches to the body/frame... There is a voltage drop across this connection and the alternator needs a GOOD ground for the internal voltage regulator to output the correct charging voltage... Without a good ground it outputs lower voltage and won't charge the battery... Take a DC volt meter and read the voltage between the alternator body and the negative battery terminal... If it reads more than a few mv (.020v ...more likely 1.5~2volts) thats your problem... remove and clean the connecting areas to bright/shiny metal and add some silicone grease to keep moisture out...
This should solve your charging problems...
Dave

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The 13.4 volts was the reading from the charged battery and NOT the alternator... The battery was slowly discharging as you drove down to your 12v reading...

The ground wire from the engine to the body has corrosion where it attaches to the body/frame... There is a voltage drop across this connection and the alternator needs a GOOD ground for the internal voltage regulator to output the correct charging voltage... Without a good ground it outputs lower voltage and won't charge the battery... Take a DC volt meter and read the voltage between the alternator body and the negative battery terminal... If it reads more than a few mv (.020v ...more likely 1.5~2volts) thats your problem... remove and clean the connecting areas to bright/shiny metal and add some silicone grease to keep moisture out...
Dave
I sanded down the ground that was under my battery tray, is there a different ground your talking about?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Dave
The buddy of the alt and the negative battery terminal are reading 0.0

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Actually that 13.4V reading indicates the alt is charging the battery. Sounds like maybe something is drawing the battery down. Have you done a voltage drop on the big battery wires, including the starter wire?
I put a volt meter directly on the power wire if my alt it was at 12.7, and the alt was bench tested and passed, I feel like something in the computer is telling it to put out that much, but I alrea bought a different ecu and it's still doing it

1 - 6 of 6 Posts