Kia Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So last night I got done changing the timing belt, both pullies for the timing belt, the tensioner pulley for the a/c belt, the water pump and all 3 accessory belts.

This morning the power steering pump slows down/tries to stop whenever I turn the wheel and makes an awful squealing sound. It is not the whine like you hear when air is in a power steering system.

I've tried:
-Loostening the power steering belt
-Loostening the alternator belt (because I saw in a video someone having the same problem and said that that fixed it, though it didn't)

Things I've heard of/thought of:
-In another thread someone said that putting some dielectric grease, valve grinding compound, ivory bar soap or teeth whitening toothpaste onto the groove of the pulleys can fix it but im not sure
-I don't think the baring is shot because the squealing only happens when the power steering pump is under load i.e. turning the steering wheel.

I'm not sure what will work, could it just be that the new belt is slipping on the pulley?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
After looking at a video I was about to post, I found out the power steering pump pulley isn't slipping, the belt is slowing down, could the water pump be bad?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This morning I used a mechanics stethoscope to see if it really is the power steering pump that was squealing, but the squealing has stopped altogether. I noticed that the water pump pulley is slowing down only when the steering is turned all the way left or right, and I can hear the belt that connects the crankshaft, alternator and water pump slipping on the water pump pulley as the engine tries to turn everything.

I also just now remembered that I had forgotten to take the old gasket material off of the engine block before putting on the new water pump with its gasket, could the water pump sitting unevenly against the block wear out a baring that quickly?

·
Super Moderator
6,854 Posts
You tried loosening the belt(s)... Sounds like the belts need MORE tension on them not less... Once a belt starts slipping it may get glazed and may need cleaning or scuffing to get back normal tension...
New belts stretch some soon after installing and will need to be re-tensioned...
Dave

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I tightened belts back up.

I started up the car again, had someone turn the steering wheel all the way left or right and the belts/pullies didn't slow down at all and there was a very quiet noise that wasn't a squeal. I took it for a test drive and it drove great, I took a 180 turn on the road to get back, turning the steering wheel all the way left, and zero noise. Car seems to be in great shape.

This reminds me of when I had to replace my water pump in my Taurus several years ago cause the bearing was going out, and the new pump squealed when it was put in, so my dad and I thought it was a bad pump so we got another one, which still squealed. So then we thought the bearing just had to be worn in and the squeal disappeared within the week and never came back. Same situation maybe?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm also having this problem; pulley stops when the wheel is turned all the way. I have brand new timing belts, water pump, and power steering pump. My mechanic told me to check forums to see what others have experienced. It's his guess that there is a bad rack and pinion. He explained it all to me, but I'm not very mechanical.

·
Super Moderator
9,541 Posts
I'm also having this problem; pulley stops when the wheel is turned all the way. I have brand new timing belts, water pump, and power steering pump. My mechanic told me to check forums to see what others have experienced. It's his guess that there is a bad rack and pinion. He explained it all to me, but I'm not very mechanical.
Please add location and vehicle (year & model) to your signature
With the recent forum platform change, the location and vehicle details in your profile no longer show in each post.

eg.
USA
2019 Sportage 2.7L V6 SX turbo AWD

https://www.kia-forums.com/account/signature

1 - 10 of 10 Posts