Kia Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have to make ONE more payment and its done FINALLY !!!! But the ac comes on and blows cold but it just doesnt seem to come on enough or long enough. Seems to not be cycling properly. Ive already put a transmission in it so I want to try to make it last a little longer. Does it sound like a clutch ? Pressure switch ? I used to work at Ford as a service tech so I know a lil bit about cars but Im NOT a mechanic :) AC was serviced a while back and it was still full when I checked it the other day.

thanks !!

Dave

·
Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
6,922 Posts
The clutch should stay on for most of the time... If the refrigerant levels are low the clutch will cycle on and off... The blower motor on the 06 doesn't put out a lot of air (I have an 06) compared to an 07 (my wife's Spectra)... I'd check the levels of the freon as you may have a leak...
On another thought....You have a very good car "if" you replace the timing belt EVERY 5yrs or 60k miles...The engine is an "interference" type and will be badly damaged "if" the belt slips some teeth or breaks completely... The TB replacement is not hard and not terribly expensive (if you do it yourself).
Rockauto.com has the TB at a good price....Get ONLY a GATES labeled brand and not their "generic" ones.... The generic has a 90 day warranty and DOES NOT meet OEM specs for material and manufactoring processes...
I mention the belt often to Spec owners as it SADLY gets ignored and these engines can go 300k miles "if" properly maintained.
Dave

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did replace that at about 100k. Its got about 140 on it now. I put it on the machine at work about 1.5 yrs ago and recharged the compressor. I hooked up one of those DIY kits the other day and it was in the green. So I didnt add any.

·
Super Moderator
6,922 Posts
The DIY kits (and their "gauge") are pretty well useless...
The pressure readings are a LARGE variable that depends heavily on the the outside temperature and they require a chart to accurately measure "how much" refrigerant is actually in the system... If you recharged the system 1.5yrs ago what was the reason for doing so? If no parts were replaced then you may have a slow leak in the system.
Another common "problem" is the actual heater/AC blower motor and/or dropping resistor... The blower may not be turning fast enough to exchange the air flowing through the evaporator (inside the passenger compartment) and that would cause the clutch/compressor to cycle... Blower motors in cars are a brush driven DC motor and brushes have a limited lifetime. When they are worn down the motor starts running slower or stalls... You can't replace the brushes as they are now a "sealed" unit...Replacing the motor/blade ass'y is the only option...
Just some things to think about...
Dave

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I had access to a machine to do it so I just reclaimed it all and put it back in. Just to make sure that it was "up to snuff". So there was no reason . She has had issues with the blower not blowing before then start blowing , it was sporadic but has been working lately. SO maybe thats it ?

·
Super Moderator
6,922 Posts
On the pre-2007 Spectras there are around five items that will stall the blower motor.
1 the blower motor itself (worn brushes,corrosion)
2 the dropping resistor ass'y located in the vent pipes
3 the plug that attaches to the dropping resistor (melts)
4 the speed selector switch located in the center HVAC console
5 the blower motor fuse...
If you have over 120k miles on the car the blower motor probably has been run at least 50% of the time..(AC/Heating/Defrost/etc). The brushes wear down and the blower becomes "intermittent" in operation or slows down and won't move the cooled air causing the AC clutch to cycle on/off. This is because there is a temperature sensor that tells the AC/Heat control module the evaporator is freezing up and stop cooling (turn off the compressor)until it thaws enough to allow it to turn the compressor back on.
As I said before the 05~06 blower motor doesn't move a whole lot of air even when it was new. The 07 on Spectras they have a new way of controlling the blower motor and the HIGH speed is truly faster (moves more air). My wifes 07 cranks out a lot more air.
Dave

·
Registered
2005 Kia Spectra LX
120 Posts
Sorry DavesSpectra but I couldn't agree less, my 05 Kia Spectra blows A LOT of air, it's really strong.. it's stronger than all my family's car's and way colder!
It's faster than a 2011 Chevrolet Traverse, 2007 Mitsubishi Raider, 2004 Corolla, and 2003 Chevrolet Malibu.
Everyone who gets in my car actually tells me my A/C is super cold and really strong even at 1.

HOWEVER lately at random my A/C will weaken out of no where and then start giving out some sort of white light smoke when I crank it up and then finally go back to being strong, would you happen to know why this happens? Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks DavesSpectra for always providing input. You are really knowledgeable.

·
Registered
2005 Kia Spectra LX
120 Posts
I think it's gets frozen cause when it stops it gives off like a fresh light smoke and you'll see moisture around the vents.. my A/C literally gets like ice cold and always has been like this even before this problem happened. I live in a really hot and humid city. Temperatures usually above 100 degrees and humidity around 50% atleast.

·
Super Moderator
99 Kia Elan 1.8L, 17 Ford Edge Sport 2.7L V6, 15 Mustang 3.7L V6, 2013 BMW K1600 GTL
11,240 Posts
Sounds like the thermal switch attached to the AC evaporator has failed or detached from the evaporator, allowing the evap to freeze.
If this switch doesn't change state in response to an evaporator that near freezing, the compressor clutch stays engaged.

·
Registered
2005 Blue Kia Spectra5 and a 96 Turbo Honda civic and a 99 subaru outback with a 2.5 rs turbo motor
265 Posts
@ ron1004 where is thermal switch located? pics will be great. thanks

1 - 10 of 10 Posts