Kia Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
06 Spectra EX
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys im new to the forums. I recently replaced my front pads on my spectra and now im getting like 15miles to the gallon, about 220miles to the full tank. I was getting 300/tank until i changed them. I have the right pads for sure but i am getting a rubbing sound when the brakes are pressed lightly when at low speeds, like barely moving speeds. I had a little trouble compressing the piston on one of the calipers but i dont think that the rubbing is coming from that caliper. Could it be the rear brakes locked up? Maybe the right side, even though i had no problems compressing the right side caliper? My car only has 60,000miles. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
06 KIA Spec5, 2000 HD Roadking
1,515 Posts
The pistons in the rear calipers have to be screwed in, for lack of a better term. If you look at the rear pistons, you will notice 4 small notches round the lip of the piston. You can buy a cheap tool to turn the pistons in or you can use a screwdriver. You cannot squeeze the rear pistons in like the front.

·
Registered
06 Spectra EX
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I never replaced my rear pads should I still twist back the pistons on the rears anyway? I have the tool and all.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
My bad, I thought you had done the rears and possibly binding up. I have seen pistons freeze up so bad that they wore the rotor down to nothing. Take your car for a short spin and then check each wheel for heat to eliminate a stuck piston.

·
Registered
06 Spectra EX
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ill try that out. thanks. hopefully i figure it out soon i dont want to take it to the dealership here because they charge $500 for the 60,000mile service and another $500 for the timing belt which i also need to replace soon. :huh: ill check all the calipers this friday and if they are still acting up then im SOL for the moment.

·
Registered
06 Spectra EX
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
figured out that its my caliper slide pins. i greased em up and its alot better than it was but still not 300miles to the tank. ill replace spark plugs and maybe that will help too.

·
Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
6,924 Posts
Check out the "sticky" at the top of the Cerato/Shuma/Spectra section of these forums about an 08 Sx timing belt... If $20~$30 and about 4 hrs time is worth $500 take it to the dealer otherwise do it yourself... Get an AC belt also while your at it... Parts get at rockauto.com quick delivery,good prices, and ALSO a sponsor of these forums...They will also work out ANY problems with your orders.
Dave

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
After spark plugs check your air filter. Then disconnect battery for 5 minutes and then reconnect battery. Go for a drive like you normally would and the ECU will then readjust itself while running with new plugs and a clean filter. The ECU will then alter its map according to the new driving conditions.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts