Kia Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So, I hired a mobile mechanic who seemed reputable and knowledgeable. Kia told me I needed a new crankshaft sensor. They wanted 900 installed. I read that this is a good time to change the timing belt to. He quoted me 240 to get it done. Friday he got it done in about 5 and a half hours and I drove it about 20 miles the next day with no issues. When I got back in the car to head home their was a really loud ticking. Sounds really bad. I called the dude up and he said he could come by Sunday morning and see whats up. Long story short, he thought it was a tension adjustment issue on the timing belt so he tore it down again and made some adjustments and then put it back together again.

Fired up the engine and the exact same problem. He ended up giving up and giving me my money back - parts.

Now I need to know whats wrong with it so I can tell a real mechanic what this issue is.

Much appreciated for any help

Youtube video of the sound. It feels like the engine is going to die when it's idling. Seems to be better at higher rpms.

IMG 0900 - YouTube

·
Registered
5 Posts
please let us know what you find out because mine is doing the exact same thing after doing a timing belt. I noticed mine goes away sometimes but comes back when the engine cools down.

·
Registered
2009 Sportage, 98 Sportage, 2012 Tata Xenon, 1944 Jeep
515 Posts
My theory, turning the engine over whilst "off" to set the belt tension may have allowed air into the hydraulic valve lash adjusters. The noise should go away eventually but sometimes the air is stubborn to get out particularly if your engine is a bit sludgy and a bit of dirt has gotten under the seat. I believe that this is quite common on the Mitsubishi v6 and that the Mitsubishi engine has a bleed valve in the oil way to combat this. If the Hyundai built version is the same, then there is a Mitsubishi procedure to clear out the air lock.

·
Registered
1999 Kia Sephia, 2016 Kia Optima SXL, 2019 Kia Soul Plus
1,110 Posts
Interesting. I've done many Sorento timing belts and have never run into this noise from turning the engine over whilst "off". I'm interested in what the mechanic did to replace the timing belt. I know if you read the procedure on kiatechinfo.com, it says you can adjust the timing belt tension. I'm wondering if he loosened the tensioner pulley and set the incorrect tension. It could even be the hydraulic tensioner is worn, the crankshaft pulley is not torqued correctly, or the crankshaft bolt wasn't replaced and has backed out. I just read that you stated it feels like its going to die. I betting that one or more of the camshafts are out of time, but tearing it down to check all these possibilities would be the best way. And making sure the oil level is good.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Ok I whatched your video and your was doing the exact same sound as mine. I figured out what the noise is. I just got done working on mine and it is now as quite as a new one. When the guy did your timing belt I assume that he loosened the timing belt adjustable pulley not the hydrolic auto-matic ram, but the actual pulley. That pulley is ascentric and needs to be adjusted before you pull the pin out of the auto adjuster. You need 3.2-4.2 mm of space in between the body of the ram and the flat spot on the pulley arm. What is happening is that the belt is not tight! So do not run it an more! It could jump time and gernade your motor. I think the sound your hearing is the belt hitting the plastic cover and I also think that the motor is out of time by a tooth or two because of the slack in the belt, so your are actually hearing some valve noise too.
Like I said ask me how I know this because I just did it. I never worked on a Kia before and had to do head gaskets. I had a friend help me with the tear down and he loosened the pulley and took the belt off. After taking everything back apart thats when I noticed that the pulley bolt was off center so I thought that must be adjustable and sure enough it was.
Good luck and hope this helps.

·
Registered
2009 Sportage, 98 Sportage, 2012 Tata Xenon, 1944 Jeep
515 Posts
Apparently a worn tensioner bearing can also sound just like a stuck or noisy lifter on the Mitsubishi V6 (got this from the Australian Pajero Club)

Did the guy who did the belt change all the tensioners ie whole kit, or just the belt?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts