Kia Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So hi again guys!
I sold my '05 Sportage 2wd, but now I have an '06 Sorento 3.5l, 4x4 with low range. (Skip to second paragraph to skip introduction and to the issue) I got this baby off the 'ol Craigslist for a whopping 800 dollhairs(dollars), and get this, she runs and drives! Only one issue, it had no accessories. No power steering, no alternator, no a/c and no water pump(I thought, fake water pump lol) The roll-pin in the crank timing gear had sheared off!! After diving further in, I discovered the a/c compressor had locked up, which I assume caused the pin to shear. After a trip to my favorite place, Pull a Part, I got the crank timing gear, crank pulley, a/c compressor and RR window regulator off the only Kia Sorento in the Winston Salem Pull a Part, and the coil on the compressor was bad. so I put it back together, plus new spark plugs(The old ones were gaped almost 3x what they should, and the ceramic was burnt so bad) and she runs like a top!

Now to the issue with the airbag light. The light stays on for the most part, But sometimes it goes off. The other day it was overcast and drizzling, and I drove it to the gym and the light never came on the entire time. Today I was pulling it around the driveway to repaint the grille, and the light was on the entire time. But tonight after it got dark, I moved it back into it's spot and the light wasn't on again, until it was running for about five minutes. Sometimes when you're driving, the light will intermittently go off for a few seconds, and then come back on. The light for the passenger side airbag always turns off when there's someone sitting there like it should, by the way. No CEL, no codes what so ever, and no other warning lights at all, except for the airbag light. Anything y'all could tell me would be of help!

Thank you!!
-Wesley

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Not all scanners will pick up air bag codes.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/183037517649/www.ebay.com/
You will probably need codes to start checking it out. Remember probing around with some test lights can set off an air bag. Disconnect the battery for around 8 hours before disconnecting parts from the junk yard. If planning on replacing parts from junk yard disconnect battery before going to bed and replace the next day,
http://www.ebay.com/itm/132487506525/www.ebay.com/
I think you download these and use a pdf reader on your computer.
I haven't worked on a Kia but US cars have a capacitor that will hold a charge for around 8 hrs.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not all scanners will pick up air bag codes.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/183037517649/www.ebay.com/
You will probably need codes to start checking it out. Remember probing around with some test lights can set off an air bag. Disconnect the battery for around 8 hours before disconnecting parts from the junk yard. If planning on replacing parts from junk yard disconnect battery before going to bed and replace the next day,
http://www.ebay.com/itm/132487506525/www.ebay.com/
I think you download these and use a pdf reader on your computer.
I haven't worked on a Kia but US cars have a capacitor that will hold a charge for around 8 hrs.
That's an awful lot to pay so something I'd probably use once. Have the actual codes would really help, but I was looking for more of like a list of things to check, like common issues for these cars I don't know of, like wires or sensors or something. The last thing I want to do is start throwing money at it before exhausting other options I could have.
Thank you.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
At the least you need the manual with electrical diagrams cost under $10.00. At the back of the shift lever is the air bag control and unit ground wire connection. Get a can of electrical contact cleaner clean air bag control unit and ground wire. Pull the cover over the shift lever. Pull the 10 amp air bag fuse. Disconnect the battery ground before going to bed. Check in the morning. You have 8 sensors that can have problems.
Believe a manual will save you much time locating items. Get a large gem clip as the ECU located under the passenger side carpet has small holes on the side so you can stick the gem clip in to depress locking tabs when disconnecting the air bag control unit. I suggested the air bag scanner as most shops will charge you at least $100.00 to pull codes for you.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
At the least you need the manual with electrical diagrams cost under $10.00. At the back of the shift lever is the air bag control and unit ground wire connection. Get a can of electrical contact cleaner clean air bag control unit and ground wire. Pull the cover over the shift lever. Pull the 10 amp air bag fuse. Disconnect the battery ground before going to bed. Check in the morning. You have 8 sensors that can have problems.
Believe a manual will save you much time locating items. Get a large gem clip as the ECU located under the passenger side carpet has small holes on the side so you can stick the gem clip in to depress locking tabs when disconnecting the air bag control unit. I suggested the air bag scanner as most shops will charge you at least $100.00 to pull codes for you.
Thank you so much for trying to help me!! I really appreciate it, but the issue seems to have resolved itself. The airbag light has literally been off about since my last reply, over a month! Yes the light still works too. I guess consider this thread solved.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts