Kia Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
06 Sorento (love it), 03 Dodge 1500, 46 CJ2A military jeep (all orginal)
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For anybody who is looking for information on the camshaft position sensor, I do have a little tad bit of information to offer.
•Symptoms – hard idling, rough start, and eventually the motor won’t kick over.
•How I knew it was bad – My “check engine light” came on; had it diagnosed at two places. It stated it was either a loose connection, dirty or it needed to be replaced. So I parked the car until I could have it looked at.
•Location- behind the upper pulley in the upper chamber of the timing cover on the Driver side (you’ll have two covers to the timing belt – upper and a lower). JFYI – It is really hard to get to if you need to replace it—.
•Cost of the Sensor -- $156.00 + tax at a KIA Service Department store.
•My 1st reaction – checked the connector (real easy). Take off the engine cover (6 screws) and the upper timing cover (4 screws). Disconnect the connector and clean it. If that doesn’t help then you will need to replace it.
Unfortunately, my sensor was bad. As stated above, the sensor is hard to get to. In order to replace it; you will need to remove the timing belt. Since I lack the experience of being a hard core auto mechanic and didn’t want to chance of messing up my timing; I took it to the Kia dealership. In order to do this task, you or the mechanic will have to dissemble the lower half of the timing belt assembly (by removing all of the belts, water pump, etc). They say if you haven’t done your timing belt in quite some time; this will be a good time to do it! And keep in mind this is where your Crankshaft position sensor (CPS) is too (you might want to replace that too)? The dealership told me that this was a 4 to 5 hour job and they quoted me a price of $590.00 (labor and parts). I did not have my belt or the CPS replaced because I had my belt done recently and they convinced me not to do the CPS (wasn’t broke). So the cost may go up if you replace your timing belt and CPS? Surprising, I got mine done for $400.00 out the door (Of course with the proper negotiation). Be alarm though, most auto mechanic shops / garages say they can do it for under $250.00. The only reason why they say this is because they are looking at a service manual that is misleading (I witness this at two different places). The service manual shows a picture of the sensor of being in the open and easily to get to (not true). So don’t get caught with your pants down when your mechanic calls you and tells you that they have ran into a flaw and they are needing to pull the timing belt (more $$$). Anyway, I had mined done and it is working GREAT! Hopefully this information helps out – good luck! :p

·
Registered
05 Kia Sorento LX 4x4
280 Posts
I has my Camshaft and Crankshaft sensors replaced about a year or so ago. I was at 53,xxx MI so it was nearing time to replace the belt anyways. Total came to $900 for both sensors, timing belt work, oil change, tire rotation, and the rest of the 60,000mi service stuff.

·
Registered
06 Sorento (love it), 03 Dodge 1500, 46 CJ2A military jeep (all orginal)
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Did you have any reasoning's for replace them or did you act on instinct? I was told by the Dealership "if it's not broke then don't replace it"!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts