Kia Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Kia Sedona
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm having problems with my headlights. They blink as I'm driving. I noticed that they blink more often if I have the heater/ac on. I've had it checked by a Kia dealership and they said that I needed a new alternator. Spent $100 on the new alternator and the lights are doing the same thing! I had it looked at by a mechanic (more $$$) and he checked all the wires and fuses and said that he fixed it, I wasn't 2 miles away from his shop when the lights were blinking again. I have no idea what to do next. I did read a complaint online that a Kia's headlights weren't working at all and the post said that he put in a new Headlight Control Module. I've typed that in on all different websites and no one shows anything like that. I need to know if that would fix the blinking problem before I spend any more money. Please, if anyone knows anything about this problem, let me know. I would deeply appreciate any and all help. I live in a mountainous area and it gets dark at about 3:30 in the afternoon.

·
Registered
Kia Cee'd SW, Hyundai i20, Nissan 240SX
496 Posts
Is there any observed pattern to when the lights blink, i.e. when you go over a bump? Could it be a loose connection somewhere?

I think you'd probably need an auto-electrician in a case like this rather than a regular dealer mechanic - unless it's a known problem.

Is it only the lights that go off or does everything else electrical also shut down at the same time - e.g. dash lights, stereo etc.?

As this is a car up in the rust belt regions of the USA do you have much corrosion or rust evident on the van?

I'm wondering if it could be something simple like a bad earth somewhere?

A bad earth can cause all sorts of weird behaviour....

·
Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
6,922 Posts
Hi leeanntracey...
Welcom to kia-forums.com
I believe you are having problems with the BCM (body control module)...also known as ETACS..

I have taken the time to download technical info from kiatechinfo.com for you to pass on to who ever is working on your Sorento...

I have placed the info on my free Google drive and made it accessable to you.
https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B-YuNuTyh57XbS1TTGs3ejl1YlE

If you look at the first picture you will see the headlights are fed directly from the bcm.

I am a moderator here (kia-forums) and have been seeing more and more BCM failures in KIAs posted here. The BCM is the "brains" of the body functions (door locks, interior lighting, directional signals, heater-AC control, etc...). It has to handle the high current that the headlights draw from the battery and I think that's the problem with your car.
It's either a bad connection at the plugs into or out of the BCM or a bad BCM itself...
Hope this helps...
Dave

·
Registered
09 Grand Carnival
62 Posts
Had an issue like this with my wipers. The would stop working occasionally. Ended up being a dodgy crimp terminal at the earth.

Took the dealer two days of throwing parts at it to find the fault though.......

1 - 6 of 6 Posts