Kia Forum banner

2006 kia sedona cooling fan issue

40K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  kia-nynj 
#1 · (Edited)
the cooling fans are not kicking on, what is the first thing i should check? i noticed that there is a wire with a plug connector coming from the the positive battery terminal that is not plugged into anything, could this be the problem?

Im getting a p0480 code also?

#2 ·
First make sure the motors are not frozen.
Then make sure they are getting power.
If no power check the relay/fuse/sensor(s).
There is a temp sensor that turns it on when the engine reaches "X" temp, if that sensor is bad the fan will not come on.
But if the fans are seized none of that matters anyway, you would need to replace the fans.
So try to spin them by hand, do they move easy or hard?

#4 ·
the relay is ok, i checked to see if the fan module was getting power and it is not, any ideas?
See my response here to your other post on this.

where is the temp sensor located?
Can't say for sure with reference to mine as we have different models. The KiaInfo site should tell you.

with the ac turned on even if the sensor was bad wouldnt the fans come on anyway?
Not necessarily - see what I posted here from the Kia description of the P0480 code in response to your other post (reformatted slightly):

"The cooling fan relay will be commanded ON when the following conditions are met:
- The engine coolant temperature reaches 106°C (223°F) or more.
- The A/C clutch requested.
- The vehicle speed is less than 38 MPH."​
(I have taken "The A/C clutch requested" to mean that the aircon system has the the compressor clutch activated - mangled translation perhaps).

This suggests that even if the a/c is on the ECU (PCM) software will not turn the fan on unless the coolant temp is at least 106°C (223°F). (And or course assuming you are checking this with the vehicle not moving, at least not more than 38mph!).

Cheers,
Peter

#5 ·
there is power going to the fan relay, the relay clicks when the vehicle is turned on, when i put the defroster and /or the ac on and check the plug going to the fan module there is no crrent going to it, would the relay click if it was bad?

#6 ·
... the relay clicks when the vehicle is turned on, when i put the defroster and /or the ac on ...
Ok that means the Kia documentation can be ignored (nothing unusual there) insofar as it would seem the software in your model doesn't require the coolant to be at a certain temperature. It looks like the software in the ECU/PCM simply turns the fan on whenever the AC is on regardless of coolant temperature. In which case the ECU/PCM temp sensor can be discounted.

#7 ·
hey man im not no certified kia mechanic but I have a 2006 kia Sedona and it was doing the same thing and I found out the ground wire from the relay, between the battery and the radiator , was broken so check the wire coming from that relay should be a single 8-10 gauge wire and it should work once you fix it. I didn't look at the date so oh well maybe this will help someone in the future

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.