Kia Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2006 Kia Rio with 210,000 miles on it. The transmission fluid is discolored (brown) and I am wondering if it is safe to have it flushed and new fluid put in. The transmission itself is running fine but I have heard with other vehicles that this can cause problems with seals and things like that. Advice?

·
Registered
2010 Kia Rio
31 Posts
I've had the same concerns with my 2010 rio lx auto.
Although I'm no expert. I'm planning on replacing my tranny fluid and filter.
(Once I do some research).
Though your mileage is a lot higher then mine, I believe you could do more damage leaving old fluid in then replacing it.

Maybe someone with some experience will chime in..

·
Registered
99 Kia Sephia manual tran no p/s or a/c, 98 Subaru LegOB
137 Posts
I wouldn't do a flush n fill. You would probably want to drop the pan and change the filter and refill w/ new fluid. A flush will probably loosen deposits and slush them around to places they shouldn't go...

·
Registered
2009 Rio5 :)
33 Posts
I wouldn't do a flush n fill. You would probably want to drop the pan and change the filter and refill w/ new fluid. A flush will probably loosen deposits and slush them around to places they shouldn't go...
Agreed 100%

Get new filter/gasket kit dump the pan, lube the gasket with the new fluid fill with funnel from top. Last time I did mine I also switched to synthetic so I probably have 65% new synthetic 35% old factory. Also if you are worried about leaks at the outside edge past the bolts put a bead of high temp silicone sealant. Do not put it inside the bolt line and it does not have to be thick. Do this within 5 minutes of replacing the pan. Tighten within that 5 minute period. Wait at least 30 minutes. Now add Tranny Fluid.

Those flushes are a great way for the oil lube joint to throw 12 quarts of crap fluid into car that only takes, what 6.5 qts? And a great way to get repeat business.

I dumped into large open 5 gallon "oil change" container I got from autozone. It had a handle and a spout. I poured the fluid into washed out milk cartons. This way I knew how much new fluid to put back in without having to start car, or wait for dipstick to clear up.

Anyway. Tranny fluid is not like oil. Oil is used to lubricate and carry heat. It has direct contact with fire. ATF if glorified hydraulic fluid. It does break down, but the harder the load the worse it is. Race car, Downtown traffic, Police car idling hours a day, 83 one hundred degree days a year are all hard hard. Cold climate, highways, civil driving etc = longer life.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts