Kia Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My check engine light came on so I tried to jump the DLC myself. I couldn't find any schematics on the OBD2 16 pin configuration so I started a 'trial and error' approach in my attempt to initiate the blinking check engine light so I would be able to get the code and diagnose the problem myself. Well I short circuited the board as I must have connected the 12v pin to a ground pin.
Anyways there was a small spark and nothing seemed to fault.
As it turns out now my windows are all stuck in the open position and it is not the fuses. I'm wondering where the power window relay box is (I threw the owners manual in the garbage years ago) and if that would be the problem.
Now if that is not the problem, where should I begin to troubleshoot? I am pretty sure I shorted out a fuse somewhere in the process.
Thanks,
Richie

Edit: I found and checked the power window relay (30amp) and it does not appear to be compromised. Any other ideas?

·
Registered
1999 Kia Sephia, 2016 Kia Optima SXL, 2019 Kia Soul Plus
1,110 Posts
My check engine light came on so I tried to jump the DLC myself. I couldn't find any schematics on the OBD2 16 pin configuration so I started a 'trial and error' approach in my attempt to initiate the blinking check engine light so I would be able to get the code and diagnose the problem myself. Well I short circuited the board as I must have connected the 12v pin to a ground pin.
Anyways there was a small spark and nothing seemed to fault.
As it turns out now my windows are all stuck in the open position and it is not the fuses. I'm wondering where the power window relay box is (I threw the owners manual in the garbage years ago) and if that would be the problem.
Now if that is not the problem, where should I begin to troubleshoot? I am pretty sure I shorted out a fuse somewhere in the process.
Thanks,
Richie

Edit: I found and checked the power window relay (30amp) and it does not appear to be compromised. Any other ideas?
Looking at the electrical diagram for the vehicle, you need to check either the IGN 10A or STOP LP 15A fuse. They supply power to the power window relay. If the fuse is not blown, then check your power window fuses in the inside by the drivers knee trim cover. You'll have a P/WDW LH and a P/WDW RH, both 25A fuses. Pull those and check if their blown. Let us know what you find there.

For future reference, Kia has tech information available at http://www.kiatechinfo.com. You'll have access to the same information Kia techs have.

Currently the method you are using to pull diagnostic codes does not work on the newer Kias. I'm not aware if it did on the older ones, maybe someone will pipe in with some validation. Either way, you'll need to have it scanned with an OBD-II code scanner/reader to help you diagnose the light. If you're in the US, I encourage you to take it to a parts store or repair shop to have it scanned. Some parts stores will scan it for free.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Fixed, Thanks Friend

It was the 15A IGN fuse I had never even thought to check. YOu saved me time and money and for that I thank you!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts