Kia Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Good day all,

My girlfriend's Kia spontaneously stalled on her while she was driving it, as in she was moving down the road going around a corner and lost all power. She had to coast to a stop, put it in park, restart, and keep going. Scared the crap out of her.

I was unable to reproduce this exactly, but it did stall on my twice while I was sitting idle [edit] with the wheels turned.

Another issue I noticed earlier yesterday was that while ramping up to highway speed, the engine sputtered around 4000 rpms at about 68 mph. I let off the throttle a bit and then the car shifted and I was able at that point to hit 70.

My initial suspect of this is three possibilities:

Vacuum Leak.
Transmission is in need of servicing.
Mass Air Flow Sensor is going out

There is an additional issue for when the car's fuel tank is filled. Whenever we fill it up, we have to crank it a lot longer than should be necessary and then push down on the accelerator and let it run for about a minute at at least 1500 RPM before we quickly drop it in drive after we let off the accelerator and go before it stalls. Once it is moving at that point, all is well. It is just the first start after filling the tank that it does this.

My thought on that was to replace the fuel filter, but if that were the case I would have thought that it would do that whether or not the tank was just filled. I'm thinking there is a sensor somewhere that has gone out of whack.

The car has about 90,000 miles on it, and it also has a crankshaft sensor error on the ODB2. Found that part for $40 or so at RockAuto and its a quick fix, but that issue has been around for ages.

Thoughts and advice are welcome. I would like to have this figured out so I can get her car fixed this weekend.

Thanks.

Ok, more research. Some confirmation at some point from somebody who has gone through this would be great...

Replacement of Fuel Filter - Clear up fuel economy issue and initial after-fill start.

Replacement of Fuel Injection Pressure Regulator - Start after fueling up issue.

Cleaning MAF Sensor, contact points - To solve the sputtering issue. (My old 95 Altima did this at one point, replaced the MAF sensor) Replace if necessary.

Avoiding transmission for the moment (oil looked clean and it hasn't had issues shifting, now that I recognize the pattern).

Replace Crankshaft Position Sensor -
P0335 Crankshaft Position Sensor Malfunction - Circuit A.
P0336 Crankshaft Position Sensor Range/Performance - Circuit A.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts