Kia Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there, I've posted before in this forum and found it very useful so I have another question about my 06 Rio.
One of the ignition coils went at around 30,000km, it was warrantied and I had it replaced. Another coil went at around 90,000km, again warrantied and replaced. I am experiencing a similar situation, the car has over 208,000km. The check engine light flashes and then stays solid and it feels as if I have lost power to a cylinder, very similar to the other 2 times this has happened. The difference this time is that is seems to be very intermittent. I drove the car home (60km) about 3 weeks with this occurring and had planned on taking it in to get repaired the next day. When I started the car the next day I had power in all cylinders and it ran normally. This has happened about 6 times in the last three weeks with no real rhyme or reason as to when it is going to stop sparking. I have also found that if this happens and I pull over, turn the car off, and then restart it it seems to work fine again. Should I get this looked at, should I get the part replaced, or is it just something I should live with until it fails completley.
Thanks,
Richiecanuck

·
Registered
10 Optima LX, 07 Rondo EX, 89 Chevy C1500
1,411 Posts
Get it looked at ASAP. If it keeps misfiring, it could damage the catalytic converter, which costs a lot more than a proper diagnosis will set you back.

·
Registered
Matte Black 06 Kia Rio & Silver 2001 Acura Integra LS 5 spd
5 Posts
Ive replaced all the coils twice already, ive bought 9 in total...180,000 miles now on my 06 but i used my car for work (deliveries) since day one and had to turn my car on and off 20/30+ times a day so attribute it to frequent starts, replaced starter too. Same thing would happen to me as well and i jus took it as, not broken, YET. When money was tight tight i would just push it as long as possible but found the coils at $30 online and probably the easiest install, save yourself head ache and a cat and replace asap.

·
Super Moderator
1995 Procharged Mustang Cobra -- 2006 Grand Cheorkee limted Hemi.
4,426 Posts
Ive replaced all the coils twice already, ive bought 9 in total...180,000 miles now on my 06 but i used my car for work (deliveries) since day one and had to turn my car on and off 20/30+ times a day so attribute it to frequent starts, replaced starter too. Same thing would happen to me as well and i jus took it as, not broken, YET. When money was tight tight i would just push it as long as possible but found the coils at $30 online and probably the easiest install, save yourself head ache and a cat and replace asap.

Why not try better coils, with a better warranty?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts