Kia Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

long time browser, first time poster, great forum by the way, some great information in here!

So to my problem, we have recently upgraded to the grand from a carnival, and we are loving it (except for the fuel economy!) but we have a problem, now this would happen maybe 1 out of 15 times.

You get in the car, start it, and go to take off, and its as if the handbrake is applied, it gets better but still feels under strain during the whole drive, when you stop and shut it down for an extended period and then start and take off again, all will be fine, full power, no problems.

Now it doesn't feel like the engine is struggling, it feels like the tranny is inhibiting forward movement or something, like its not gripping in there somewhere?

As i say, it won't happen every-time, just occasionally, and there is no link to when it happens, different times of the day, different idle times before takeoff etc.

Its got us a bit worried though, i am yet to check transmission fluid level, and i see nothing in the log book to say its ever been serviced.

Any ideas guys?

thanks a million in advance!

·
Registered
06 Grand Carnival
400 Posts
Have you checked for any codes? or got someone to check for you.

Brian

·
Registered
06 Grand Carnival
400 Posts
The codes if any MAY be stored. if there are any.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
just wondering if anyone has heard of something like this before, i have driven manuals all my life, this is my first auto......
could this be something to do with oil levels in the auto? would a service fix something like this?
just looking for peoples comments, i wont hold you to it ;-)

·
Registered
KIA's 2000 Carnival, 2008 Magentis, 2005 Optima
561 Posts
In my considered opinion the trans is sometimes in Limp home mode which often causes them to start in second gear and not upshift the full range.
They go into limp home mode because a sensor is intermittent or a bad connector.
Or a temp sensor has gone out of range.

I would put a OBD2 reader on it and see what is being recorded.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts