Kia Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone -just came across the new Kia Grand Carnival. Curious if anyone knows when it will be available in the U.S. for sale.

Here is a press release I found and some pictures.

You can see the Korean version at http://grandcarnival.kia.co.kr

Kia Unveils Premium Minivan

Kia Motors, South Korea’s second largest carmaker, yesterday unveiled a premium mini van, aiming to challenge the industry’s big guns, such as the Honda Odyssey, Toyota Sienna and Dodge Caravan.

Grand Carnival is the result of a 250 billion won ($240 million) investment over the past 26 months, and was engineered to match world-class vans in terms of driving technologies, convenience and safety features, the carmaker said.

Kia will export the vehicle to the United States in September and explore other markets next year in hopes of achieving annual sales of 200,000 units.

We’ve developed the Grand Carnival to target global mini van markets, and it surely stands over all existing models in South Korea in most technological aspects,’’ Hyundai-Kia Automotive Group chairman Chung Mong-koo said during a launch in Seoul.

``Kia applied its know-how and top technologies to manufacturing the Grand Carnival. We believe the car will open our export market wider.’’

Kia plans to sell 50,000 Grand Carnivals this year. Next year, its Korean sales are expected to reach 40,000 units, and overseas sales will be over 160,000 units, the company said.

The 11-seat Grand Carnival is a revamped version of the Carnival recreation vehicle, which was first introduced in 1998. New safety features include a variable rack stroke system and a vehicle dynamic control system, which are aimed at enhancing stability while driving. It also adopted an integrated memory system, which adjusts the seat for a driver automatically when the engine starts.

Kia officials said the vehicle’s 170-horsepower engine and state-of-the-art entertainment features are also some of the advantages for customers.

Owners of the Grand Carnival can enjoy a tax deduction for mini vans in South Korea. In 2008, when a new tax system is applied, Carnival owners will pay some 760,000 won less tax than the owners of sports utility vehicles with the same engine capacity, Kia officials said.

Source: Hankooki.com

Attachments

·
Registered
2003 Kia Sedona
403 Posts
Now that's a nice looking big people carrier, anyone seen images of the Ssangyong Rodius (another 11 seater) they are sooo ugly!

Yucky yucky yucky!

·
Registered
562 Posts
Hello Pepper,

What is that, words fail me, what an ugly looking vehicle.

Is that actualy a production model.
Seacam

·
Registered
562 Posts
Incidently has anyone seen the second rendition concept pictures of the new
BMW V6 series, now there's a mean looking vehicle.
Seacam

·
Registered
Kia Carens CRDI Mk 3
103 Posts
Hi Kiasomeday
The picture of the MPV you are showing is a SSANGYONG RODIUS
it,s sold in the uk as a 7 seater with a MERCEDES BENZ diesel
engine and gearbox, it,s sold in kOREA as a 11 seater, is
Ssangyong involved with Kia and Hyundia ?

·
Registered
2003 Kia Sedona
403 Posts
I posted the picture of the SSangyong Rodius not "KIASOMEDAY"

SEACAM that vehicle is avavilable in the UK but it only comes as a 7 seater here. it has the 2.7lt Mercedes licenced Diesel and now comes with four wheel drive!

Its just soooo ugly!

you can see the technical specs here SSangyong technical specs for Rodius

2500kg towing capacity though!

Give me a Kia Sedona anyday though.

Ssanyong as far as I know have nothing to do with Kia or Hyundai.

·
Registered
Kia Carens CRDI Mk 3
103 Posts
Sorry chaps i got the wrong end of the stick,i never read the
story correctly.
my apolgises kiasomeday and you pepper.

·
Registered
2003 Kia Sedona
403 Posts
no probbies I just didn't want Kiasomeday getting the blame for putting something sooo ugly onto the forum. ;)

·
Registered
562 Posts
Hello Pepper,

Names & Posts get a bit confusing sometimes.

Comes with four wheel drive does it, as part of the package SSangyong should include unlimited medical liability for any poor s*d who claps eyes on it, they'll need it.

What were they thinking off?
Seacam

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Kia Motors Customer Service just called me back today and told me that the Grand Carnival will be for sale in the U.S. in mid-year 2006.

FYI. Thanks for the informative comments from everyone. Thanks for the other ugly car pics too.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts