Kia Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Kia Sedona
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I'm a dedicated wife & mom to 3 kiddos. A 6yo boy & 4yo girls. I'm new to the forums here and am glad to see there is a place to get help for my Sedona.

About my van. She is a 2005 Sedona with 108k miles. I love her, but my hubby & I are reaching the point where she's making us very unhappy. We are not in a place to be able to buy a new version of her nor can we afford to keep fixing her. If we can't get her in a happy mood with us we're going to have big problems.

Problem # 1:

Our AC is blowing warm & is causing the van to overheat. If we turn off the AC the engine returns to a normal temp. What could be the problem with these 2 AC issues?

It should just be an AC issue as we just replaced the radiator, thermostat & relay.

Problem # 2: My son & hubby somehow managed to twist the back seat belt & fed it into the retracter that way. Since they had pulled it out all of the way it engaged the ALR causing the belt to not be able to pulled back out to fix the twist. Now the seat belt is useless & I need that belt for installing my son's car seat. How do we gain access to the seat belt so we can fix it? We can't afford to pay someone to access it just so we can untwist it.

Thanks for all the help you all can offer.

·
Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
6,961 Posts
I see no mention of the AC fan in your post... There are two fans on the radiator and condenser units. One is only for the radiator cooling, and the second should come on when the AC is turned on. BOTH should be running with the AC on...
The car WILL overheat if the AC fan does not come on.
Did you plug the AC fan back in after replacing the radiator...Could be that simple..

You did not mention if your hubby is mechanically inclined... Does he have a multimeter and can he use it?
If the plug is not the problem we need to know "why" the fan is not working... Bad fan?...Bad AC fan relay?..(different from "fan relay")...Blown fuse under the hood..(look at the owners manual for AC Fuse and relay)?

Can you get a shot (picture) of the seatbelt at the retractor so we have something to work from? I have been able to get twisted/jambed belts back in service by "babying" (tiny movements) and using an old metal coat hanger "opened" and bent into a small 1/4~1/2" hook. I used the hook to grab the belt down inside the retractor and turn it.
There should be "some" movement even if the belt is out and a 1/2" should be enough wiggle room to get the belt moving again. Patience is the key. Frustration and anger won't get it done...
This forum is AIMED at persons like yourselves...We are here to help.
Keep us posted... and try to stay cool!
Dave

·
Registered
2005 Kia Sedona
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Neither my hubby or I are mechanically inclined. A friend's husband who is a mechanic charged our AC & I do believe he said that both fans were working. I'll double check that today.

I will attempt a picture of the seat belt today.

·
Super Moderator
6,961 Posts
A note ....TOO MUCH refrigerant (freon/R134a) will cause overheating of the engine and poor AC performance.... Ref:"Our AC is blowing warm & is causing the van to overheat"
Do you mean the engine or the inside of the van?
People will dump "cans" of freon into their AC system without checking for the proper amount specified on a label under the hood. This is called over charging and can/will damage the AC compressor and other components. It also causes heavy drag on the engine and overheating (temp gauge rising).
Did he use a AC manifold and gauges when he added freon to make sure of the proper system pressure? Some good intending neighbors/friends believe all AC problems is caused by "low freon" and add more when it's NOT needed...compounding your AC problems.
You can check the fans by simply starting the car and letting the engine warm up.
Have your husband watch the fans under the hood when you turn on the AC (HIGH).
Both fans should spin...Watch your fingers as the blades are black along with most everything under the hood and they may be spinning without your knowledge.

When you have had the Radiator replaced did they clean out the bugs, leaves, and dirt on the condenser when the work was done?
The condenser has to be moved to replace the radiator and "could" have been damaged at that time... There are aluminum lines (pipes) attached to the condenser that may have gotten crimped (bent flat) restricting the flow of freon and causing your problem... Inspect these lines..they should be round and not flattened (crimped).

Your mechanic may have done an excellent job on his repairs (We don't know him or his work).

We are here for you if you need us...
Dave

·
Registered
2005 Kia Sedona
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, my friends hubby used a gauge. He said it didn't really need much at all & noticed as well that it didn't make much of a difference in cooling the air.

The original mechanic involved in replacing our radiator, I longer have faith in. When he replaced the radiator the van kept overheating which is what led him to replace the thermostat, then the relay. It was still overheating & told me that the headgasket was cracked. During all of this he also tried to tell me that my brakes were bad which I know was untrue as I had just had the breaks replaced 2.5 months prior.

We couldn't afford to get the headgaskets replaced which is why my friend's hubby looked at our van for us. He was willing to do the job for free for us. After telling him all issues the van was having he wasn't sold on it being the headgaskets & thought it was more likely the water pump. He took a full day to go through it all with a fine toothed comb. The gaskets have no cracks or warping, the water pump is fine, hoses good. It was the radiator cap. The mechanic put the incorrect radiator cap on. It wasn't allowing the radiator to do it's job. Friend's hubby replaced the cap & issues were solved.

So that's where we're at. The AC blows warm/hot when at an idle & cools just slightly (not enough to make a worthwhile difference) when driving. If you stay idle too long it overheats (it cools back down once you get up to speed). It's frustrating because we're here in AZ (ya know, a 1/4 mile away from the sun) & no AC sucks. Our drivers window doesn't work either (friend's hubby checked that for us too & it's the motor so we need to wait until we can afford to buy the motor) so only the passenger window works & that doesn't allow enough wind.

I really appreciate you trying to help me figure this out Dave. I just want to gather as much info as possible before I call my friend's hubby again to ask for help with this issue.

·
Super Moderator
6,961 Posts
You said "If you stay idle too long it overheats (it cools back down once you get up to speed)" ...boy that sounds like fan problems...When the car is moving...air is forced through the radiator (and condenser)..When you are idling the fans are supposed to do the work and keep the engine temps down... If the condenser can't get rid of the heat it gives it back to you!!! There may also be a secondary fan relay that "kicks" the speed up of the fans...if that relay is bad the fans stay at the slower speeds even when the engine calls for the speed up...

There is also a "mixer" door inside the car's cabin (hvac) it's job is to mix the hot and cold air. I have read where that door can stick and even though the AC is generating cold air ... the cold air is not released into the cabin.

Has your friend checked the temperature(s) of the AC lines from the engine compartment to the car's cabin? If the larger one is really cold but you get none in the cabin that above door may be stuck closed.

Just some thought off the top of my head...
Dave

I'm also a firm believer in "recycling" (not really :) )have you tried a local boneyard for the window motor? Lots cheaper than a dealer's part.. RockAuto.com has new ones for $63.

·
Registered
2005 Kia Sedona
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You are awesome. Ty so very much. Now I've got great ideas to take to my friend's hubby to have him look at it all.

I really appreciate your insights on it all. Also thx for the heads up on a cheaper window motor.

I'll be sure to update when he looks at my van & figures out what is up.

·
Super Moderator
6,961 Posts
Now you're thinking!
"She" will be just fine when you get the problems sorted out!
We all are a little "poorer" in this current economy and need to learn to rely on each other for answers... It's good you have your "friends hubby" to help. Tell him thanks from us at "kia-forums" and let him know we are here for him also...
Try to stay cool...
Dave

·
Registered
'02 Sedona 3.5L
75 Posts
Before you order your window motor, you might want to try to remove the negative battery cable and hook it back after a few mins which might reset the power window.

·
Registered
2005 Kia Sedona
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I haven't been back yo check, sorry. My computer broke. :(

Anywho, 1 piece of good news. I fixed my seatbelt all by my lonesomes. Go me! LOL

I took the van into a shop that was willing to to a check engine light scan for free. Stupid gas cap was causing the check engine light. I talked to them about the w/c & overhearing issues. They said they are betting it's the head gaskets. No matter how I dice it I guess I need to replace them. :/ Any other ideas on the issues?

Thx for all the help guys.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts