Kia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Kia Spectra
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Question for anyone in the know:

I just read on another forum that someone's new 2005 Spectra does NOT have a cabin air filter in its described location behind the glovebox door.

The owner's manual definitely references the existence of such a filter, but I'm not sure if the manual qualifies it with an "If equipped". I'll double check that tonight.

In the meantime, does anyone know for sure if U.S. speced Spectras have this filter standard or not?

Thanks!

-SM

·
Registered
2005 Kia Spectra
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
UPDATE:

Yes... the 2004.5/2005 U.S. Spectra owner's manual lists the "air conditioner filter" as an "IF EQUIPPED" feature.

So... the chances are very good that the U.S. spec cars DON'T have it installed as standard equipment.

I am going to confirm this with the dealership the next time I'm there to confirm.

-SM

·
Registered
2005 kia spectra5
157 Posts
cabin filter

my spec5 has the the place for the filter but didnt come with it i got one for 30 bucks at kia. the location for the filter is there behind the glove box

·
Registered
282 Posts
If it's the same as the Elantra and you have trouble finding it, you need to ask for the Tiburon filter. All Tibbies have the filter, I think.

·
Registered
2005 kia spectra5
157 Posts
it is the same as the Elantra but there should be no trouble to get it they have a parts listing for it. At Kia anyway as far as aftermarket parts is that what you mean? I know parts stores dont alwasy cross ref parts

·
Registered
2005 Spectra SX
30 Posts
SO... I took my car in for the (overdue) 15k check up. I had the dealer install my diverside floormat peg, no problem they did it at no cost. I asked them to check to see if i have a cabin air filter. they said it's an aftermarket item but they would check their stock. the service writer came back to me and told me it would be approx. $100.00 (no mention of labor although i suspect it must have been included as it's a rediculous amount). I told him to hold off. Someone said that they could get the part for less at their dealer... also the tiburon/elantra filter is the same size. anyone actually install one that was branded for hyundai?

·
Registered
2005 Spectra SX
30 Posts
okay, so after i posted the comment I called up my parents. (my family owns some shops in the area) I got some estimates on the filter. appx $28. here's the deal ::smile:: because my family is always ordering parts i got a 20% discount plus it was tax free from the dealer. So the price dropped from $100 (initial quote by kia) to $22.95. the install: not even close to 5 minutes. and the look on the dealer's face when i returned to pick up the discounted filter was priceless.

·
Registered
2005 Kia Spectra5
32 Posts
Hey folks,
What are the pro's of installing this filter and what is the expected life expectancy?

·
Registered
2005 Spectra SX
30 Posts
the filter is said to filter out micro organizms, for me, I just want to help keep the interior of my car cleaner from airborne dust. Kia recomends replacing the filter ever 15k miles. I have noticed that the air is a little crisper since installing it.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Why not just make one out if a sizable pleated furnace filter? Cheaper, faster!! Around here I have seen plastic "casing" that can be cut to fit, then simply cut a pleated filter to fit the opening... DONE!

·
Registered
1982 Fiat Spyder, 2007 VW Eos 2L Turbo, 2000 BMW 528i 5 speed
230 Posts
That is exactly what I plan to do today. Bought a filter at Home Depot and I should be able to get 2 or 3 filters for the Kia out of it. Only $8 for the fancy filter, $3 for the cheap one.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Kiapet said:
That is exactly what I plan to do today. Bought a filter at Home Depot and I should be able to get 2 or 3 filters for the Kia out of it. Only $8 for the fancy filter, $3 for the cheap one.
Can you take a picture of the furnace filter you purchased and then the end result please? I just got my SX last week and opened up the glove box today and noticed the empty tray, so wouldnt mind saving some money on a regular furnace filter too.

Does anybody know how much Kia charges for the spectra replacement cabin filter?

·
Registered
1982 Fiat Spyder, 2007 VW Eos 2L Turbo, 2000 BMW 528i 5 speed
230 Posts
ozzeran said:
Can you take a picture of the furnace filter you purchased and then the end result please? I just got my SX last week and opened up the glove box today and noticed the empty tray, so wouldnt mind saving some money on a regular furnace filter too.

Does anybody know how much Kia charges for the spectra replacement cabin filter?
Ozzeran,

I just got it all put back together, but it was very easy. I bought an "Elite" filter at Home Depot. This filter was more expensive ($8), but had a higher air flow rate. I bought a 20x16 filter, but if you get a 20x20 filter, I think you can get 4 filters for the Kia out of it. I used a marker to outline the size I needed based on the tray I pulled out of the Kia. Then used scissors to cut it to the size required. I removed all the cardboard from the filter and put it in place. Seems to work fine. I was unable to get a filter from any Kia dealer, they said they are not available.

I think they are a great idea, since they keep all the dust and debris out of the system. The filter in our VW is packed with crap after 20k miles.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Ok easy enough, I have a filter here i'll do that tonight. Man I love this site :D

Oh as I wrote that I thought of something, did you just lay the filter in there w/o tying it down? I would think the airflow would move the filter upwards with the vents on.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts