Kia Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2005 sportage with a 2.0. The head gasket blew and I had it all redone only to put it back together and had no compression in 3 cylinders. Pulled it apart and needs new pistons and all. My question is what are the differences in the other kia and hyundai 2.0 motors? Everything I am seeing is saying that the motor is only interchangeable with the tuscon of the same years. I have found an 2004 elantra motor and a 2007 spectra that the motors look identical. Both 2.0 with dual overhead cam and the cvvt timing. Can anyone tell me what the differences are? I have my old motor all apart so if I would just need to swap a few parts or even the head to make it work would be great, or is there some other difference. Thanks in advance.

·
Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
6,959 Posts
Check with your local "salvage/junk" yards...They have references (books) that will show the interchangability between models... I'd bet that the Spectra motor will be a drop in replacement. The Spectras from 2004.5~2009 are all interchangeable across the years... I would doubt that the Sportage and the Spectra engines are different with the exceptions that there may possibly be changes on bolt on items, wiring harnesses, Intake and exhaust manifolds, gas line and pollution items. The Spectra engines are also VERY cheap (price wise) and easily available.
I hope others will chime in on responses...
Dave

1 - 2 of 2 Posts