Kia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Kia Sorento
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off, hello every one!! I'm new to the Kia forums, and was looking for some help. I mainly work on GM and Ford vehicles, and till now I've never even touched an Asian/Korean import like Kia lol.

So I was searching around cl and others apps alike, and I ran across this 05 Kia Sportage for $600 with 155k on her. The guy said, "Mechanic told me it was a timing belt" so went to look at it since I thought it was a good deal. It sort of checked out, so now I own a Kia lol. The car turns over, sounds like it tries to fire every now and then, but nothing.

I started with the timing belt, and it turns out there's not a thing wrong with it. So I decided to do a compression check, and low an behold, it has low compression. Around 30-40psi on all cylinders. then I checked the timing marks thinking it might have jumped timing, causing the valves to open at the wrong time letting the compression escape. no such luck. The timing was perfect.
I had this lingering thought that the timing belt had previously broke sending the pistons into the valves. I took off the timing belt and rotated the crank by hand to see if it would make contact with the valves. And it didn't, except for one spot that was very minor. So I assumed I was right, I pulled the head off. After pulling the head and further inspection, there isn't a thing wrong with the valves, or the piston heads or the cylinder walls. There isn't a bit of play in the pistons, the cylinder walls are so smooth, with not a bit of scoring or anything. The valve all open and close as they should, and seat fine. I can't understand where the compression is going. Btw there wasn't a bit of coolant in head, radiator hoses, heater hoses or block from what I can tell. I suspect the water pump, since it has about an 8th of an inch of play in the shaft. The car has no codes stored.

Anything you can tell me would help.
Thank you!
-Wesley

·
Registered
09 kia spectra ex,04 Neon,04 Chry. T&C, 08 Pontiac G6 gt
1,894 Posts
Low compression all the way across and tries to fire SOMETIMES, Sounds to me like timing belt is off by 180*Get a haynes manual at least for it, they are not that expensive and will have good instructions for TB service.(When you get it all back together)

·
Super Moderator
99 Kia Elan 1.8L, 17 Ford Edge Sport 2.7L V6, 15 Mustang 3.7L V6, 08 Harley Nightrain
9,786 Posts
Wasn't this model known to have the bad Woodruff keys on the crank timing pulley?

·
Registered
2006 Kia Sorento
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Why didnt you conduct a cylinder leak down test before pulling heads??

... Philip
I wish I had, but I didn't think of it at the time... I guess my brain wasn't working right at the time haha

Low compression all the way across and tries to fire SOMETIMES, Sounds to me like timing belt is off by 180*Get a haynes manual at least for it, they are not that expensive and will have good instructions for TB service.(When you get it all back together)
Thanks for the reply, but I don't think that's it. I checked all the timing marks, and it all checked out. I also used a metal rod to check the piston travel and valve opening and closing and it was all good, like clockwork. I don't think it jumped, the timing belt looks like it doesn't maybe 5k miles on it, and was tight as a tick.

Wasn't this model known to have the bad Woodruff keys on the crank timing pulley?
I'm not sure. This one has a keyway on the crank, and it's fully intact.

·
Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
6,866 Posts
I go along with Ron1004 ....
The elusive woodruff key on the crank and the slot it fits in are probably worn.... The mechanical timing marks will show everything is OK ....BUT... The timing will actually off and the compression readings will be low like you posted....The slot in the crank has been damaged and a good welder can repair it.... I thought about using JB Weld to fill the gap as the timing bolt should hold the correct position once tightened...
Dave

·
Registered
2006 Kia Sorento
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I go along with Ron1004 ....
The elusive woodruff key on the crank and the slot it fits in are probably worn.... The mechanical timing marks will show everything is OK ....BUT... The timing will actually off and the compression readings will be low like you posted....The slot in the crank has been damaged and a good welder can repair it.... I thought about using JB Weld to fill the gap as the timing bolt should hold the correct position once tightened...
Dave
Thank you for your reply. I pulled the timing gear off the crank, and it came off smoothly. The woodruff key is in good shape, and so is the slot on the crank and the keyway on the gear. So it all seems 100% in order.

·
Registered
2006 Kia Sorento
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Alright, so something else I came across was the no coolant in the block or head. I decided to fill the block with water to check for leaks like a cracked block or etc. The aforementioned water pump was leaking like a sieve, the seals and bearings are shot in it. You don't think the previous owner could have drove it with no coolant, and warped the head? He didn't seem too mechanically inclined tbh.

·
Super Moderator
6,866 Posts
A warped head would cause your very low compression... It doesn't take very long for damage to happen when there is no coolant in today's engines...
There are 2 2005 Spectra 2.0L at a pull-a-part in Charlotte you might find a good head or engine in...
Dave

·
Registered
2006 Kia Sorento
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
A warped head would cause your very low compression... It doesn't take very long for damage to happen when there is no coolant in today's engines...
There are 2 2005 Spectra 2.0L at a pull-a-part in Charlotte you might find a good head or engine in...
Dave
Well after putting a straight edge on the block, it seems to be slightly warped. I think i'm gonna try getting a new head. Charlotte is a bit too far, but the pull a part in Winston has 5 Hyundai Elantra's (2)2005 (3)2003; and 2 Hyundai Tuscon's with the 2.0. These cars should have the same head right and should work?

·
Super Moderator
6,866 Posts
The Tuscons should be directly interchangeable...
Check the price on the full engines...

I got a 2.7L V6 from a 2005 Sonata and dropped it into our 2008 Tiburon (bought with hydro locked engine)...
I got an excellent engine after replacing the plugs and spark plug wires...

I paid around $244 with all accessories (alternator/starter/AC compressor/power steering pump)... They will replace it if it is not good.... Look for a accident damaged car as it had to be running to get into the accident.... A good looking body car probably has engine or transmission problems... Pull the top timing belt cover and look over the belt.... You might want to take a 3/8" breaker bar, 3/9" long extensions, and a 3/8" -21MM socket to manually turn the engine over while watching the belt.... You would have a much better chance at getting the Sportage running doing a full "transplant"...
If the car has a "Salvage" title be sure to get the donor's VIN# on your bill of sale....

Good luck!
Dave

·
Registered
2006 Kia Sorento
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The Tuscons should be directly interchangeable...
Check the price on the full engines...

I got a 2.7L V6 from a 2005 Sonata and dropped it into our 2008 Tiburon (bought with hydro locked engine)...
I got an excellent engine after replacing the plugs and spark plug wires...

I paid around $244 with all accessories (alternator/starter/AC compressor/power steering pump)... They will replace it if it is not good.... Look for a accident damaged car as it had to be running to get into the accident.... A good looking body car probably has engine or transmission problems... Pull the top timing belt cover and look over the belt.... You might want to take a 3/8" breaker bar, 3/9" long extensions, and a 3/8" -21MM socket to manually turn the engine over while watching the belt.... You would have a much better chance at getting the Sportage running doing a full "transplant"...
If the car has a "Salvage" title be sure to get the donor's VIN# on your bill of sale....

Good luck!
Dave
Thanks for the suggestion on the the 2.7 swap, but I think I'll stick with the 2.0(if I can ever get it running lol). While It sounds like an interesting swap, That's not really something I wanna endure atm. I did go to pull a part Thursday and picked up a head with cams from an 08 Sportage, and I should be slapping it on sometime this weekend. and I'll be sure to update y'all on how it goes. Thanks for the help!!

·
Registered
2006 Kia Sorento
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Alright guys, so I got the new head on, but I had one issue. When I put the timing belt on the compression tested 10ish psi on all the cylinders. I was and still am confused. I checked, double checked and triple checked the timing marks and they are on point. I don't understand it. I was looking at the cam lobes and I could tell they weren't opening at the right time. So I decided to time it by sight and tdc, and it had about 130psi and now runs. But I need to know if there is something I overlooked??? It runs smoothish, but I'm not sure if it's 100% there. It seems to lack low end power, or that could just be how it is idk, I'm used to daily driving my torquey Mustang. Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
99 Kia Elan 1.8L, 17 Ford Edge Sport 2.7L V6, 15 Mustang 3.7L V6, 08 Harley Nightrain
9,786 Posts
Alright guys, so I got the new head on, but I had one issue. When I put the timing belt on the compression tested 10ish psi on all the cylinders. I was and still am confused. I checked, double checked and triple checked the timing marks and they are on point. I don't understand it. I was looking at the cam lobes and I could tell they weren't opening at the right time. So I decided to time it by sight and tdc, and it had about 130psi and now runs. But I need to know if there is something I overlooked??? It runs smoothish, but I'm not sure if it's 100% there. It seems to lack low end power, or that could just be how it is idk, I'm used to daily driving my torquey Mustang. Thanks!
It could be that the camshaft sprockets are installed incorrectly, or you're making mistakes with the timing marks - take the cam sprockets off and check them, and post photos of each sprocket direct on with the marks all aligned.

·
Registered
2006 Kia Sorento
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It could be that the camshaft sprockets are installed incorrectly, or you're making mistakes with the timing marks - take the cam sprockets off and check them, and post photos of each sprocket direct on with the marks all aligned.
Are you referring to the cam sprocket the timing belt rides on? If so, it should be on right. I didn't touch it when I pulled it off of the pull a part car. But I did feel it could have been wrong, so I double checked it with the warped head I was replacing, and they were the same, lobes and all. I also checked the little keyway and it was fine. I could have been making mistakes when timing it. I set the top cam gear/sprocket where the little hole was aligned with the red mark on top of the cam bearing/retainer. Then I set the crank to tdc where the gear mark was aligned with the little elongated mark on the block, then put the on belt. I turned over the engine by hand a couple of times then rechecked the marks and we were still aligned. Idk though, I'll try to get those pics tomorrow though. I do have a couple of codes though, one is for a bad cam position sensor, that couldn't lead to power loss can it? Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
9,786 Posts
Are you referring to the cam sprocket the timing belt rides on? If so, it should be on right. I didn't touch it when I pulled it off of the pull a part car. But I did feel it could have been wrong, so I double checked it with the warped head I was replacing, and they were the same, lobes and all. I also checked the little keyway and it was fine. I could have been making mistakes when timing it. I set the top cam gear/sprocket where the little hole was aligned with the red mark on top of the cam bearing/retainer. Then I set the crank to tdc where the gear mark was aligned with the little elongated mark on the block, then put the on belt. I turned over the engine by hand a couple of times then rechecked the marks and we were still aligned. Idk though, I'll try to get those pics tomorrow though. I do have a couple of codes though, one is for a bad cam position sensor, that couldn't lead to power loss can it? Thanks!
Yes, it can most certainly lead to the cam sensor code is an indication that the timing is off, not that the sensor is bad, and yes that condition would lead to a loss of power.

Look forward to seeing those pics to get a good idea of what you're lining up.

·
Registered
2006 Kia Sorento
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Yes, it can most certainly lead to the cam sensor code is an indication that the timing is off, not that the sensor is bad, and yes that condition would lead to a loss of power.

Look forward to seeing those pics to get a good idea of what you're lining up.
Sorry, but I didn't get those pictures today like I had indented. I was busy and I had to go to pull a part again to get a steering wheel for the sportage. But while I was there, my mechanic's intuition told me to get a new cam position sensor, and I did. So I replaced it, easy peasy, and it took care of the P0340 code on the cps. It also took care of the no low end power issue, and it drives so much better now. But there is a new code P0011 saying the timing is over advanced mhmm... The other code I think is unrelated but is p0452.

I'll gonna try to retard the timing by a sprocket tooth or two, so I'll get those pics tomorrow or the next day.

·
Registered
09 kia spectra ex,04 Neon,04 Chry. T&C, 08 Pontiac G6 gt
1,894 Posts
Sorry, but I didn't get those pictures today like I had indented. I was busy and I had to go to pull a part again to get a steering wheel for the sportage. But while I was there, my mechanic's intuition told me to get a new cam position sensor, and I did. So I replaced it, easy peasy, and it took care of the P0340 code on the cps. It also took care of the no low end power issue, and it drives so much better now. But there is a new code P0011 saying the timing is over advanced mhmm... The other code I think is unrelated but is p0452.

I'll gonna try to retard the timing by a sprocket tooth or two, so I'll get those pics tomorrow or the next day.
SEE MY THREAD of P0011 in the Cerato,Shuma Spectra forum page...SAME MOTOR! ..CLEAN THE SCREEN!

·
Registered
2006 Kia Sorento
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
SEE MY THREAD of P0011 in the Cerato,Shuma Spectra forum page...SAME MOTOR! ..CLEAN THE SCREEN!
Thanks for the suggestion. I checked out the thread and thought it was worth a try, the new head I bought did have some sludge in it(I did clean it). But the screen filter did have a little sludge in it too, so I cleaned it with brake clean and slapped it back on. After driving about 20 miles, the p0011 code hasn't came back!! I usually appears after idling for 5 minutes. Thanks a lot for suggesting it!! Now I just have the issue of the p0452 code, if anyone can point me to a thread for that lol. Thanks again!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts