Kia Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
How would I go about removing the small panel that surrounds the window up/down and door lock switches on the front passenger door of a 2005 Spectra5? The lock switch works fine, but the window switch only rolls the window up, not down... so I want to go in and inspect for broken components/dirty contacts. Hopefully the site lets me post a photo with a low post count:

·
Registered
06 KIA Spec5, 2000 HD Roadking
1,515 Posts
You will have to remove the door panel, which is easy. The switch panel can be removed from the backside of the door panel then. If memory serves me well there are two screws holding the switch panel on.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You will have to remove the door panel, which is easy. The switch panel can be removed from the backside of the door panel then. If memory serves me well there are two screws holding the switch panel on.
Thanks!

Follow-up question: is the door panel the type that when you take it off, you have to replace those single-use barbed plastic pegs? (No idea how to describe them).

·
Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
6,922 Posts
I have had the door panels off mine and my wife's Spectras (06 and 07) and never broke a fastener. They are not the "barbed" type.
Dave

·
Registered
2016 Kia Soul+, previously owned 2005 Bk Spectra5, traded in at 125K+ miles
21 Posts
I'm glad this was posted. I have the same problem with the switch for the passenger window on the drivers side, it won't go up. I really thought that little section would pop out. Now I know I have to remove the whole door panel.

·
Registered
2007 Spectra5
93 Posts
When i bought my Spectra both driver & pass side switches were failed, passenger side wouldnt go up, driver side wouldnt go down. I added a thin layer of solder to the worn out contacts and everything is perfect again... Did this same years ago to my F-150 too, still works today :)

·
Registered
21 Posts
When i bought my Spectra both driver & pass side switches were failed, passenger side wouldnt go up, driver side wouldnt go down. I added a thin layer of solder to the worn out contacts and everything is perfect again... Did this same years ago to my F-150 too, still works today :)
That's quite the solder job, as all the switches are soldered to the circuit board. I think I will buy a new assembly, then try your solder idea, or check it out anyway.
By the way, I found a video on how to take the assembly out of the door without removing the door panel. After I removed the door panel myself, of course.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Thanks Spades.
I opened up the switch assembly and found the contacts were pitted and blackened. I cleaned them with some 500 grit and then put a very small dab of solder on the one side, to make up for the pitting. A clean place with a magnifier is a big help as these pieces are small. To me anyway. I re-installed the switch assembly back into the car and so far so good. I should have done this to the drivers side as well. Both switches for the passenger window up quit working. I bought another whole switch assembly from the local junk yard. I did keep the old one so I think I'll tear into that one anyway.
Do be careful taking the black cover off of the small assembly on the circuit board, there are two very small pieces that can easily fall out and get lost. Tipping the whole board up side down for the cover removal is a good idea.

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts