Kia Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Kia Spectra5 197K
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2005 Spectra5

So i woke up to a big coolant puddle and the car was overheating. I did a compression test to find the leak and it’s the weep hole. So I’m assuming (based on my research and advice from my pro mechanic friend) that the water pump is starting to fail. My engine has 184K and a date written on it when you remove the plastic cover. I just hit 203K. So I’m assuming that was the date the last timing belt was changed. So after more research I decided that only the water pump needs to be done and not the timing belt. My budget is limited so anywhere I can save is the best option. I’m on a fixed income so I have the luxury of time but not money.

I spent the last week reading other posts about doing the water pump on on here and watching some of the good tutorial YouTube videos. Finally worked up the courage to try this. I have all the belts off, motor mount removed, timing belt upper cover off…. And now I’m stuck on the crankshaft pulley bolt? It’s not budging. I’ve hit it with PV blaster and gave it some tapping.. no luck. I have a ½ breaker bar but there is very little room for any leverage under the car. I have Front end on jack stands. I also have a new Milwaukee battery impact. But it’s not breaking loose. It’s a 22mm bolt. Any advice? I’m guessing pneumatic impact would probably be better than the battery operated?

·
Registered
2007 Rondo and 2000 Tacoma
185 Posts
When I hit large bolts like 22mm and up I always went for my pneumatic gun if a breaker bar didn’t do it but as you say you don’t have access to one. “I think” I’ve seen somewhere that you might be able to put your socket and breaker on and wedge the handle in somewhere and blip the starter to break the bolt.
..............If you are completely stuck you might research this option.

·
Registered
2005 Kia Spectra5 197K
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
When I hit large bolts like 22mm and up I always went for my pneumatic gun if a breaker bar didn’t do it but as you say you don’t have access to one. “I think” I’ve seen somewhere that you might be able to put your socket and breaker on and wedge the handle in somewhere and blip the starter to break the bolt.
..............If you are completely stuck you might research this option.
That is exactly what I ended up doing and it worked perfectly. I pulled the spark plug plugs first to eliminate the possibility of accidentally firing up the engine.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts