Kia Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there. My wifes 2005 Kia Spectra 5 developed an odd new issue. The emergency / parking brake no longer 'clicks' into its holding position.

The lever itself does seem to still engage the rear brakes, I was able to use it to stop the car from rolling on our slightly sloped driveway, but you can't lock it into place, which makes it pretty useless (other than for wicked fast-and-the-furious-style e-brake drifting, lol :) )

Anyway, I've seen a few posts here about adjusting the cable and whatnot, but the actual brake assemblies and cable seem to be fine, its just that it won't lock into place. Is the actual level assembly broken, or is there something to the function of the e-brake calipers that allows the handle to lock into place as well?

If its the handle, anyone know where I can get a replacement? Rockauto doesn't seem to have that particular part.

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
6,928 Posts
If the parking/emergency brake works (holds car) but doesn't latch I would say that the ratchet ass'y built into the lever is broken/rusted/binding.
The ratchet is released by the button on the end of the EB lever...Is the button sticking in? I know there are many stories about sticky liquids getting spilled into car parts and this "might" be the case...
This is not a common problem so a "donor" EB lever ass'y from a local bone/salvage yard (2004.5~2006 Spectras) should "cure" your problem.
Dave

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If the parking/emergency brake works (holds car) but doesn't latch I would say that the ratchet ass'y built into the lever is broken/rusted/binding.
The ratchet is released by the button on the end of the EB lever...Is the button sticking in? I know there are many stories about sticky liquids getting spilled into car parts and this "might" be the case...
This is not a common problem so a "donor" EB lever ass'y from a local bone/salvage yard (2004.5~2006 Spectras) should "cure" your problem.
Dave
Yeah, I'm thinking its the actual ratchet in the handle arm. The button is stuck 'out'. Like, you can't push it in at all.

And the lever does work as an e-brake, though the engagement doesn't come on until its pulled up pretty high. Might also need to be adjusted as well, I guess.

So is a junkyard the only real possibility here? Will KIA not sell me this part directly?

·
Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
6,928 Posts
Sure...BUT ask about the price BEFORE ordering...Parts are available (pm cobra259 here for a "better price" as he is a parts mgr at a KIA dealership).
I can't see any problem with one from a "donor" unless it's been sitting out in the weather (rust). Yours is the FIRST I have seen with this problem and getting into it you may find it may just need lubricated...
Dave

1 - 4 of 4 Posts