Kia Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2005 Spectra, the clutch went out and I did not have the money to have KIA replace it so I did the work myself. I removed the battery and it took me about 2 weeks to get it torn down and back together. I put it all back together and tried to start it up and it just cranks but there is no spark. During the clutch replacement I rotated the flywheel so I could torque the pressure plate bolts and I think the ECM has lost track of the spinning parts of the engine. Here is what I have done so far:
1. replaced the Crankshaft Position sensor, no change.
2. replaced the Cam Position sensor, no change.
3. Verified the fuel pump is charging the fuel rail, spark plugs are dry when I pull them after cranking the engine so in addition to no spark the injectors are not injecting fuel into the cylinders.
4. I used a OBD2 reader to verify there are no codes and it says the system is fine.
Do I need to reset the ECM in some special way? I think it just does not know where the crank position is so it is not firing the plugs or injectors. What am I missing?

·
99 Kia Elan 1.8L
12,023 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

I'd check the valve timing.

·
Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
6,959 Posts
I would be looking for loose or damaged wiring harnesses and/or plugs. Did you remove the engine and tranny as a complete ass'y or just the tranny.
Removing the battery (and probably moving the engine fuse panel) may have pulled or broken a wire loose. Check all fuses in the cab and under the hood. Look for pinched/worn/damaged wires connectors and sensors.
I don't think there is valve timing problems if the engine ran before the clutch repair.
What is the mileage on the car? With it being a 2005 and KIA saying to replace the timing/cam belt every 60k miles/5years it "might" be a damaged or broken belt throwing off the timing... Has it been replaced within the above time/mileage period?
I would tend to believe it's an electrical problem (loose wire,connector,plug, fuse panel, or damaged harness)
Dave

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Motor stayed in car, did not remove fuze box. I have been over every connection and verified that there are no loose wires or grounds. Car has 72K on it, but I drove it into the garage, shut it off, removed the battery, air filter and intake boot, then removed the manual transmission. The only wires that I touched were the speedo, the o2 sensor, and the ground wire on the bell housing. Now it cranks, but there is definitely no spark to any plug from either coil.

·
Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
6,959 Posts
I would still suggest checking the fuses. Pull them and check continuity (reads like a short).Look for a fluctuating voltage on the signal lines on both the cam and crank sensors while cranking. An analog meter (one with a needle not a digital) works best to "see" the pulses. The ECM needs both to output a spark pulse. The ECM usually NOT the problem and is a waste of money to try.
The coils are close to the engine/transmission split. Check around them.
Something got moved, changed, disconnected.
Did you turn the engine backwards? The timing belt may have jumped timing.
You did not mention "if" you replaced the timing/cam belt and at it's age and mileage the teeth may have sheared off changing timing.
I'm trying to help by looking at past common "problems".
Dave

·
Registered
2005 Blue Kia Spectra5 and a 96 Turbo Honda civic and a 99 subaru outback with a 2.5 rs turbo motor
265 Posts
if your not getting spark check your wiring under the coils when i remove my auto trans on my kia spectra5 i accidentaly broke the cover for the plug. its right below the coil. fallow your sparkplug wires to the right and on the bottom of it right above the trans.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts