Kia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm having an issue with my Kia Spectra, my low beams aren't working at all, no power is getting to the bulbs. I've checked the relay and the fuse and those are working fine. My high beams, fog lights and parking lights are working.

I've taken it to a mechanic and at first they said it was the multi-switch, something I've found odd since I've used the switch maybe a couple dozen times in the 4 years that I've owned the car. Then when I took it in to get the switched replaced they told me it was the BCM and the part and labor would cost about 400.

Anyway, I'm trying to figure out if the mechanic I took it to could be on the up and up and if that is about the correct price for fixing it. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
6,922 Posts
I'd bet that the second diagnosis is correct...
The multi-function switch sends "requests" to the BCM (body control module) and then the BCM sends a drive signal to the High or LOW beam relay coils...
The BCM on the 2004.5~2006 Spectras is becoming a "problem" part with these cars..
Do a search in the Spectra area for "BCM" and read the results...
You can get a "donor" interior "FuseBox/BCM/ETACS" module from your local Salvage/Junk Yard (or ebay) and replace it yourself for MUCH LESS than $400.
Be careful to get the part number off of your old one and match it to the "donor"
Here's the diagram of the headlight circuit...

The below information remains the property of kiatechinfo..com
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B-YuNuTyh57XZ1BLb25TaFhVbDQ/edit?usp=sharing
Dave

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info Dave. A couple more questions because I'm getting a bit confused reading about it. Is the ETACS and BCM the same thing or are they different parts?

Are my only choices for getting a replacement a salvage yard or a dealer? I'm concerned about getting it from a Salvage yard because it might happen again in a month (of course it might never happen again but who knows).

Also if I do get one from a Salvage yard will I still have to get it programmed? That was the other thing they told me, that the dealer would have to program it.

·
Super Moderator
6,922 Posts
I woke (11:00AM) to find your post first thing...
Although I was earlier on the forum at 5:00AM.
That's why I called it the "FuseBox/BCM/ETACS" module. In one area it has one name and in another a different one.. The BCM/ETACS is a part of the Fuse Box and is located behind the dash and to the left of the steering wheel. When you pull off the fuse panel cover you are looking at it. You need to remove the lower plastic panel but be careful as there are 2 hidden screws to it's left behind a panel sandwiched between the driver's door and the dash that comes off with a screwdriver under it's edges (no screws). The bad BCMs are not a high volume failure item.. We have seen maybe 5 here and they all have different symptoms because of all the things they control.. I mentioned it as a "problem" so others would take into account this item when searching and reading... Many salvage yards have a "lifetime" warranty on their donor parts and the failure number is really very low... Believe me it's well worth the time to do it yourself. There doesn't seem to be any needed aditional programming to mate/match the module to the car. Just keep the part numbers as close as possible...
Read the posts they will tell you it's not needed.

If replacing that module cures your problem I ask that you make the old one available to me as I'm really an electronic tech (forced retirement) and would like to KNOW what is failing inside so I might be able to pass on an even less expensive cure.

I see you are in TX... Some good deals on salvage KIAs down there and some good yards also.

BTW...welcome to kia-forums..I hope you become an active member helping others with what ever skills/tip you may have... We have a great bunch of guys (and gals) here and WE support KIAs all over the globe!
Dave

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)

·
Super Moderator
6,922 Posts
That part is for an "04" Spectra...your model run is 2004.5~2006 and the parts are NOT the same...

From Thread ...
http://www.kia-forums.com/kia-cerato-shuma-spectra-forum/80586-tail-lights-dash-lights-locks-windows.html

(The part number of the fuse box, also identified as a junction box, in the 2004 Kia Spectra was DECO 91950-2F090; the part number of the fuse box that I got from a 2005 Kia Spectra was DECO 91951-2F090.)
He thought there was differences but later said they were the same...

At car-part.com do a search for "engine computer" (gets your foot in the door) to find Spectras of your year ...There is no "listing" of the BCM/ETACS/Fusebox
Then call them and ASK for the fuse box (with BCM?ETACS) under the dash and they will be able to find one for you locally. The above part # came from "HeathersKia" thread and yours "may" be different...That's why I said to read the threads and get YOUR part #...
You are getting closer...DON'T get frustrated!
Dave

·
Super Moderator
6,922 Posts
Yards in Austin WITH 04.5~06 Spectras
Browning Auto Parts - KOLT USA-TX(Austin) Request_Quote 1-800-338-5191
Aaron's Auto Parts USA-TX(Austin) Request_Quote 1-512-282-1715

51 mles from Austin..Triple R Auto Salvage USA-TX(Killeen) E-mail 1-800-367-3133

This was found using car-prt.com and "engine computer".. "if you change that to another common part like "steering column", "blower motor", "clock" they will FIND you 04.5~06 Specs that you cal call on...
BE CREATIVE..
Dave

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for being so patient with me Dave, I've done car work before but not in about 15 years and the last car I worked on was a 90s model Nissan with almost nothing power related.

I'm going to try and find time to remove the crash panel tonight and try and find a Part number. I ended up finding a couple salvage yards within 100 miles, which isn't too bad, but they need to know my part number to see if they have something that matches. Do you know if I'm going to have to remove the whole thing to find the part number or will it be somewhere visible without removing it?

·
Super Moderator
6,922 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,922 Posts
I contacted the seller of the fuse box on ebay and he contacted KIA...He says that TRUE it is for an 03 and 04 BUT ALSO for up to 06...
Nice guy (Mike) you might want to contact him on it on ebay...

And It came out of an 05 (like yours)...You might check with Cobra259 here (in a pm)... to see if there are any differences. Cobra is a parts manager at a KIA Dealership in MI.
Dave

·
Super Moderator
6,922 Posts
BCM ETACS FUSE BOX
Known good #s for 2005 Spectras
91950 2F070 "IF" no power door locks and alarm system ***
91950-2F090
91951-2F090
Posted for future look up by others...

Thanks to bcostenbader and Cobra259 for the update on the 2F070 qualifications
Dave

08/27/2014
This may be another number for the BCM... Taken from a 2007 Spectra
91950-2F850
Found on ebay
http://www.ebay.com/itm/08-KIA-SPECTRA-FUSE-RELAY-JUNCTION-BOX-ASSEMBLY-OEM-91950-2F850-/301257536087?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4624593257&vxp=mtr
Dave

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
I truly appreciate all the help Dave. I'm going to try and get the part number off my box before I contact anyone to make sure that I have all the information that I need. I'll let you know how everything works out, thanks again.

EDIT: I suspect that it's going to be the 91951-2F090 as that's the same OEM price as the Kia Parts Dept. quoted me, 397.22.

·
Super Moderator
6,922 Posts
Keep Us posted as this "IS" the best service manuals for "our" KIAs.
Dave

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I do indeed have the 91951-2F090 in my car. I called up those two salvage yards you kindly looked up for me, Browning didn't have one but Aaron said they still have an '05 spectra and they think it's still there. The best part is they said it will only be $45. Going to try and head there tomorrow if I can get off work a little early. Otherwise I might have to wait until Saturday and that makes me nervous that someone else might pick it up.

·
Super Moderator
6,922 Posts
Give em a card # to hold it... (most yards are very reputable and a good relation with a close yard is valuable)
Also give yourself some time to wonder the yard "if" they allow you to...
Lots of neat parts to fix the little problems you may have... Now you don't have to pay $400. Keep us informed..
Dave

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
FYI according to Cobra259 the 91950 2F070 will not work for me since I have power locks and an anti-theft system.

I wish I could have given them a card number to hold it but they said they don't do that.

·
Super Moderator
6,922 Posts
Updated my reference info in this thread..
Thanks!
Dave

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well i've gotten my part now, I got lucky and it was the 91951-2F090. The car was almost completely stripped but the part i needed was still there, yay.

Now I can't figure out how to get the wires out of the back, I'll need to do this for my current one as well. Is a special tool needed? I took out the green bars on the side and I thought they would just slide out after that but they're still locked in. Looking at some of the empty slots it looks like there might be a release but I can't trigger it in the slots that have a wire in it.

Looking at it closer I'm wondering if I even need to take them out at all? Could I just take those two blocks out my old one and put them into the new one? It's just a harness right? It seems to me that I should be able to and the only reason it wouldn't work is if one of the wires is bad, and in that case I'm in big trouble anyway. Is that sound logic?

I'm attaching photos. The first is a picture of the top "block" from the front, the second is the back of the top "block" and the third is the back of the BCM/Fusebox

·
Super Moderator
6,922 Posts
Can we see the front of the third image?
The side where the fuses go.
There should be two bolts with hex heads that you remove to separate the BCM/ETACS and the fuse panel from the "chopped off" wiring harness.
The top two pictures look like they were part of the original dash wiring harness and not part of the BCM.
Dave.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Can we see the front of the third image?
The side where the fuses go.
There should be two bolts with hex heads that you remove to separate the BCM/ETACS and the fuse panel from the "chopped off" wiring harness.
The top two pictures look like they were part of the original dash wiring harness and not part of the BCM.
Dave.
The top two pictures are of the part that goes in the hole where my thumb is. Attaching two more photos, the first is of the back with the part back in place and the second is the front, as requested.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts