Kia Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2005 Spectra that wont start. I ran over a dead bear last PM and the car took a huge jolt. I know it is getting spark but cannot locate a fuel rail port to see if fuel pressure was good or even if fuel was being delivered. I did spray carb cleaner into the intake but no start. It seems like the started isn't turning the engine over very fast. I put my code reader (no codes present) on it and it reads 135 rpm at cranking?? I've read about ground issues so is this a place to concentrate? Is there a gravity fuel shut off? Am I missing the fuel pressure test port? The car continued to run after hitting the animal but would not start after stopping for a short period about 1 mile after the animal encounter. All fuses are good and I can here what sounds like the fuel pump when turning the key on but, again, cannot confirm fuel pressure. Are there any system wiring diagrams available. I will get a FSM as soon as I can.
Any help is greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Howard
Hampstead, NC

·
Registered
226 Posts
That gen Spectra has a fuel cut switch that opens the fuel pump circuit in the event of a collision. I would check it first.

Once you locate it, check it by resetting it. Push on the top. It is a mechanical switch that needs to be manually reset this way.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I can't say for sure because there was someone helping with this problem. I told them about the reset button and before I could check for myself they pressed it and said it pushed in but I would have liked to have done this myself because the car still doesn't start. I cannot see any way to check for fuel pressure? There is some sort of fitting on the end of the fuel rail and I thought to loosen it but it was very tight and I didn't want to break the rail. Is it possible the timing belt skipped even though the car ran for a few miles after striking the road kill?
Thanks
Howard

·
Super Moderator
99 Kia Elan 1.8L, 17 Ford Edge Sport 2.7L V6, 15 Mustang 3.7L V6, 08 Harley Nightrain
9,883 Posts
I don't think that you should try starting it with carb cleaner - use proper starter fluid.

If the impact triggered the fuel cut-off, then it would not have run for miles after hitting the road kill.

Maybe the impact dislodged debris in the tank?

·
Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
6,866 Posts
Mileage on the car?
If over 60k miles you may have a bad/damaged timing belt. A tooth could have gotten knocked off from the crash throwing timing off. Just one tooth and the car won't run... It could slip on the very next start attempt.

The timing/cam belt MUST be replaced every 60k.. This is an "interference" type engine and MAJOR engine damage WILL result "if" the belt breaks or slips (too many teeth).

I watch out for salvage title kia/hyundai vehicles and quite a few report "no" to "runs/drives" with no apparent damage to electronics or engine... Usually the engine has well above the usual breaking points (85k miles) and it's not uncommon to see posts about trashed engines here from quite a few posters that "ignored" the maintainence requirements.
Just a thought...
Dave

1 - 6 of 6 Posts