Kia Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New Kia Spectra 5 owner and love the car.

I drove the car from Florida to CT and enjoyed every mile.

I do have a few questions regarding a burning oil smell which has occured twice. I have 2100 milles on the car and just yesterday I noticed the smell again. I checked the oil and it was filled to the top. I thought I may have dripped some oil on the manifold when checking the oil. I did not smell oil for a week and now smelled the oil again.

I have also notice the gas sticks a little when the pedal is released. It seems to remain at the same rpm when the clutch is depressed. I have also noticed 3rd gear is not as smooth as the other gears when shiftiing.

Any comments to these questions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Ron

·
Premium Member
2015 Buick Verano "Leather Group", 2015 Kia Optima Hybrid
6,127 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks so much for the information. I have an appointment to bring in to the dealer. Interesting about third gear. I have never owned a car that had an occaisional oil smell. I appreciate that fact I have nothing to be concerned about.
Thanks
Ron

·
Registered
37 Posts
Prolly the sealent kia coats every thinggg with. We get alot of cars coming in with under 3k on em for "oil leaks" its actually the melted burnt sealent dripping. itll prolly burn away

·
Registered
33 Posts
i noticed the rpm's holding on my spectra 5 as well.

but on the other hand, it also did the same thing on both my Hyundai Tiburons, a 99 and 03. Both of which have the same engine as a Kia spectra 5.

Both the Hyundai dealer I used to go to and now the kia dealer said the exact same thing, that it has something to do with the fuel mapping for the 2.0 Beta motor, and that it is supposed to do that. It sounded plausible(sp?) so I just left it at that ;)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Later model cars are tuned to keep the RPMs higher between shifts. This is for pollution control, because keeping the revs up ensures a more even burning of fuel that is in the cylinders when you give it gas after a shift. Also, you have a heavier flywheel than any racing car, so that inertia keeps the engine spinning longer.

I personally think it sucks, and those Greenpeacers can go jump in a lake, but, hey...who am I to question a federal guideline...

·
Registered
38 Posts
I also took my car to a dealer for the rpm hanging up problem. When I came to a stop in neutral it would hang around 1500~1800 rpm. But it was diagnosed negative by dealer. Yes, it was 5-spd model. BTW, it becomes less prominent as mileage adds up (dunno why).

·
Registered
2005 Kia Spectra
1 Posts
I had an oil smell problem with my '05 Spec5. Brought it to the dealer and the tech knew exactly what it was. Said he had seen it once before. There is a bolt under the exhaust manifold heatshield that wasn't torqued properly. he tightened it, topped off the oil and let it run for 10-15 mins and no more leak. Was fixed under warranty so no charge.

Hope this helps.

Caesar

·
Registered
18 Posts
WOW 1fastkia!

I was glad to read about 3rd. gear.

My spectra with 2100 k's is the same. Not a big deal, just can beat the synchro into 3rd. so requires a fraction more care when shifting.

I had figured it was just one of those things tho didn't know if it was unique to my car - apparently not.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts