Kia Forum banner

2005 Sorento Fuel Filter Replacement

8K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  Vadim 
#1 ·
Hi All,

So, I've found out my '05 sorento has a fuel pump more akin to the later 07/08 style (large threaded ring instead of bolts).

I also understand the fuel filter is a part of the pump assembly. I've read on several threads in this forum that you can change this filter yourself however, I have yet to find anyone describe the process. Maybe my searching skills just aren't up to snuff but if someone could point me in the right direction that would be great.

Also, found that rockauto has the filter for an '03 sorento model year (no others). Will this fit my '05?

Thanks,
Andrew

#3 ·
OK, so I'll continue the monologue here. I disassembled the entire fuel pump assembly. There is the prefilter on the bottom (looks like a mesh sock) that had a little debris in it. Overall the tank was very clean for having 160k miles on it. Couldn't see any debris in the tank itself. There is no servicable filter despite a few forums I've read saying otherwise. The filter is located within a welded plastic assembly that surrounds the pump. Regardless, the root of my problem is not originating from the filter, started playing with the TPS and found I could mitigate the problem. I replaced that puppy at around 80k or so so it is probably time to do so again. Its just strange that didn't throw a code this time.

Anyway, fyi, if your 2005 sorento has a 2007/2008 configuration pump, there is no serviceable filter.

#4 ·
Hello ajjohnson8,

Sorry to hear no one helped you out.
I have a 2003 Sorento 3.5L 4x4 with 80,000 miles and just wanted to replace the fuel filter only not the entire assembly. I too have searched and found only people stating that the filter is changable and others saying they changed it but no actual instructions.
So you are saying that the assembly is welded shut and no way to open it and change the filter?

Vadim.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.