Kia Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Kia Rio
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All!

Bear with me here, because I don't know much about my car (or cars, really) but I'd like a little guidance before going to the mechanic. I have a 2005 Kia Rio with an automatic transmission, and something like 113,000 miles. After not driving or starting my car for five days, I used it to make a short trip to the vet. Everything started fine this morning, and the 12 mile roundtrip was uneventful. About six hours later I needed to repeat the exact same 12 mile trip. The Problem: When I started my car, it started up initially with really high RPMs and a lot of noise, and then very quickly (within seconds) all of the lights behind the steering wheel came on and then the the RPMs got very low and the car turned off. It was like my car gasped and died. After an initial moment of horror, I started the car again, and this time it stayed on, though the RPMs seemed very low for the first few seconds upon starting. No lights came on, and the car drove normally for the rest of the trip. I'm not sure if driving it was a good idea, but I needed to pick up my cat.
The car has some other issues as well. It will occassionally sort of stutter in its acceleration, and the check engine light will come on. The code (crap, I forgot the code) has something to do with master cylinders I think. Anyway, turning the car off and restarting it turns the light off and also makes the stuttering stop. It has been theorized that a condensation buildup or some other thing is momentarily blocking something inside of the car. Helpful? The car also sometimes makes a really high pitched squeeley noise when it starts, as well as sometimes when I turn the air conditioning on. The AC works, as I had it completely replaced last year ($900 :eek:), and the squeal has been undiagnosed, as it failed to happen the last time I went to the mechanic.

Thanks for reading this block of text! Any thoughts about what might be wrong or what I can say to my mechanic would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
2012 Kia Soul+, Kia Sportage SX FWD
472 Posts
Yep, check for wet wiring and plug/ignition wiring. Pull the cover off the engine and dry everything out and check connections from the harness through the coils/wires/ to plugs. You are probably getting a PO300 (301,302,303,304) code(s) saying a cylinder misfire. Barring some wet wires or connectors, you might need new plugs or remove them and gap them at the least. Go to www.kiatechinfo.com and register (free) and spend some time looking through the troubleshooting sections of the service manual. Kia gives you all the info you need for free. Might save you a trip to the mechanic and surely will help educate you more on the car you drive. Good Luck!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts