Kia Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Kia Rio
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2005 Kia Rio with 122,000 miles. Sometimes it will idle very high when I start it. It starts idling at around 2,000 rpms. If I try to drive it while it is idling high, it will not shift out of first gear. It will get to about 15 mph, then jerk back down to 12 mph, then repeat that over and over again. I let it run and that used to fix it after a while, but lately it has been taking longer and longer. Putting a dry gas solution in the gas tank also used to help, but I don't think it's helping anymore. Recently when it happened, the one thing that finally worked to get it idling and shifting normally again was shaking the car from side to side. I had to shake it 5 times and then the rpms finally dropped back to normal, and it drove without a problem. Today it happened again, but this time when I was driving instead when starting it. As of when I finally managed to get it home, it has not fixed itself. The problem is becoming more and more frequent.

My dad is coming over to look at the car tomorrow. He wants to check on the idle control valve. I've been told elsewhere that it could be a vacuum leak or a failed idle air control.

Does anyone here have any ideas? Any tests that we could run? My dad is very handy with cars, so any fixes we could do on our own?

·
Registered
2012 Kia Soul+, Kia Sportage SX FWD
468 Posts
I can only guess at what's been going on, but the IACV is the place to start. Clean the throttle body AND the idle control valve. Check the plugs and gap them properly. Check the plug wires for cracks or damage, and replace if suspect. I would drop the pan and replace the transmission filter to try and get a little more life out of the transmission. Those Rios run very hot (tranny) and it isn't that much of a chore to drop the pan and get a filter and replace the 2 or 3 quarts lost in the process. Don't know if your engine and tranny problems are related or just happen to occur together...
If the check engine light is on, read the codes and use Kiatechinfo.com to troubleshoot accordingly. Good luck.

·
Registered
2005 Kia Rio
5 Posts
2005 Kia Rio
Original problem: after hearing to operating temperature vehicle will not accelerate no engine power or rpms, pull over put into park engine would rev up, put back into gear no rmps. Actions: removed MAF Sensor cleaned with MAF cleaner crc , cleaned throttle body, removed IAC Sensor cleaned with throttle cleaner crc brand. Inspect spark plugs all are good and gap correct.
Engine performance is better and has no miss or stall. Went to put into drive and the dash D ILLUMINATED icon light does not come on now, car will go into P,R,1,2 but not D . drive 2 city blocks to get fuel and was doing good then lost all gears no PRD12! Tuned vehicle off and restarted then it would shift back to 2nd to limp back home.
I checked the TPS sensor and it has no ohms resistance readings what so ever. Has power and ground on connector. No check engine light on at this time.
Could the TPS not communicate to the TMC cause this condition?
The car ran fine shifting until I cleaned up the MAF and throttle body. It would just lose engine rpms ones heated.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts