Kia Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys, newbie here, I am hoping to get some much needed help. Bought a non running 05 Optima LX 2.4L the other day, car has 97k on the clock.When I jumped the car and had it cranking i heard no unusual noises signifying any interference damage, I hope that is a good assumption. I noticed the crankshaft pulley was in the trunk after i tried to jump it. ( the 12mm bolts are missing too). I pulled the top timing cover off and noticed the belt had several, 3-5 teeth missing in multiple places. anyway, i turned the crank by hand several times and the camshaft sprockets align to their rocker marks every time. also the crankshaft pulley mark aligns with its engine mounted mark as well.

My question is this, according to the KGIS website directions the dowel pin is suppose to be at the top of the sprocket but mine is no in that position.

do i need to try more revolutions am i doing something wrong am i screwed here. any, any help would be so greatly appreciated.

thanks in advance and i look forward to your input.

Robert

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Quick update , I just reread the directions for the 12th time and realized it states camshaft dowels not crankshaft dowel. so that problem should be solved.

Now i have another possible issue . I noticed the camshaft sprocket closes to the firewall is less than one tooth to the right of the rocker cover mark and the front sprocket is closer than that to its mark.

Is there some tolerances for this or does it have to be absolutely perfectly lined up ?

thanks again

1 - 2 of 2 Posts