Kia Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I've recently purchased the 2005 Kia Sportage (3 days ago). I have been discouraged from getting a KIA but I have struggled to find any fault with it (watch this space). Excellent handling and lots of power when called upon. My only disappoinhtment is that the drivers seat does not fold forward like the passenger's to accommodate a exploring loving six-footer.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Had a good poke round a 05 Sportage today (not quite launched in UK yet!)
Very impressed with it, at the prices they are going for, it's sure to be a huge hit.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Good luck with your new Sportage. But quite frankly I wouldn't buy a new one. Why?? Because....

The new Sportage is unibody. The old Sportage had a strong ladder frame.

The new Sportage has NO low range transfer case.

Translation: the new Sportage is basically a Honda CR-V clone. A car with some AWD capability. The old Sportage was fully off-road capable and you could bash it thru the mud, snow, and rocks. The new Sportage would have to be towed out. I prefer a true multi-purpose SUV and the old Sportage delivered. The new one does not. If I were to trade in it would be a Sorento, which has off-road capability.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Originally posted by DLITEID@Dec 4 2004, 09:23 PM
Hi, I've recently purchased the 2005 Kia Sportage (3 days ago). I have been discouraged from getting a KIA but I have struggled to find any fault with it (watch this space). Excellent handling and lots of power when called upon. My only disappoinhtment is that the drivers seat does not fold forward like the passenger's to accommodate a exploring loving six-footer.

SUPER

·
Registered
2 Posts
I attended a sign and drive training event last Friday and got to drive the new Sportage. I also was able to drive the CRV, Escape, Rav-4, and Liberty. The Sportage was head and shoulders above all of them. It is equiped with standard features like ABS, Traction Control, ESP (Electronic Stability Program), and true on demand four wheel drive. The course had all driving conditions. The Unibody design is strong and rigid. It is easier to tune than a ladder type frame suspension. The suspension is MacPherson Strut with coil springs in front and Multilink with coils in the rear. The 4 wheel drive can also be manually locked with a switch on the dash. The ABS central controller continually reads data from each wheel sensor and identifies when a wheel is slipping and takes power away from that wheel and shifts power to the opposite wheel. This system is the only one that can actually drive a vehicle with one wheel only.
Hope this helps, & difuses some bunk. ;)
Tom

·
Registered
6 Posts
:D Happy New Year to all of you!!
At last I have got my new Kia Sportage Diesel!!
I have been driving about 400km and it is nothing negative to say so far. I really love the car!!
Any other here with 2005 Kia? Want to hear about your experience about the car.

Regards.....Reidar.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Sounds great!
Diesel won;t be released in the UK til March, drove my first one this week finally (2.0 manual) very impressed with it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi, Im interested to getting the 2005 Kia Sportage 2.0 Auto. However, i have also been discouraged to getting it because of the high fuel consumption. Can someone pls enlighten me as to what is its fuel consumtion like? Km/Litre of petrol.

Many thanks!

·
Registered
6 Posts
I DO NOT KNOW FOR THE PETROL, BUT FOR MY DIESEL IT IS FOR MIXED DRIVING (TOWN-LAND) IT IS ABOUT 1 L/10KM.
FOR ONLY LAND DRIVING IT IS ABOUT 0,8.
THE PETROL SHOULD BE THE SAME?? rEMEMBER IT IS A HEAVY CAR. 1700KG.

REGARDS....REIDAR

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've got the 2005 Kia Sportage recently, around three weeks ago, I'm very satisfied with it, however, I am excited to add mods to it but I don't know what to add :blink:

·
Registered
10 Posts
I went to the kia dealer today in mississippi USA and was told the new sportage will not be equipped wih the 2.0 L4 but a v6 is this an option or only configuration available he led me to belive the would not be making any 05's with 4 cylinders? Well I got the flyer seems the new sportage will be offered in 3 different configs.. LX with L4 LX with V6 and EX with V6.

·
Registered
9 Posts
i like the new kia, i have a 99 model........the v6 auto 2.7 litre 4wd is the only option autralia will get at this stage, i have leaning to rear wheel drive option , i do not think it willbe option in autralia,,,,,,,the pricing should be very competitive, is it a clone crv as i have read.........

·
Registered
2000 Kia Sportage
67 Posts
Originally posted by tdowns@Dec 14 2004, 05:53 PM
I attended a sign and drive training event last Friday and got to drive the new Sportage. I also was able to drive the CRV, Escape, Rav-4, and Liberty. The Sportage was head and shoulders above all of them. It is equiped with standard features like ABS, Traction Control, ESP (Electronic Stability Program), and true on demand four wheel drive. The course had all driving conditions. The Unibody design is strong and rigid. It is easier to tune than a ladder type frame suspension. The suspension is MacPherson Strut with coil springs in front and Multilink with coils in the rear. The 4 wheel drive can also be manually locked with a switch on the dash. The ABS central controller continually reads data from each wheel sensor and identifies when a wheel is slipping and takes power away from that wheel and shifts power to the opposite wheel. This system is the only one that can actually drive a vehicle with one wheel only.
Hope this helps, & difuses some bunk. ;)
Tom

Funny.... "Manually locked with a switch on the dash" I'll take my MANUAL hublocks thanks. I KNOW they're locked in... not by an electronic switch at that. That gives me comfort in my old sporty cause everything is manual. When you move the stick to put it in 4wd or 4L, that stick is INSIDE the transfercase. I've had too many electronic faliure related nighmares... I see the new sportage as being a great vehicle for someone who wants to tool around town for the most part and might go slightly off the beaten path... but stay on trails so to speak. I have my doubts as to it's handling true offroad terrain.

-GE
I bring good things to life!

·
Registered
2013 KIA Soul, 2013 KIA Rio 5 Door
84 Posts
I went to the kia dealer today in mississippi USA and was told the new sportage will not be equipped wih the 2.0 L4 but a v6 is this an option or only configuration available he led me to belive the would not be making any 05's with 4 cylinders? Well I got the flyer seems the new sportage will be offered in 3 different configs.. LX with L4 LX with V6 and EX with V6.
Again, I know, old ass post, but ya know people read thru em periodically :D for 09 Sportage offers the 2.0L I4 and the 2.7L V6 for LX and EX models. ;)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts