The panel on the outside of the radio needs to be removed.... grab 2 flat tip sqrew drivers, go around the panel (carefully), and pop that panel out... after that, unplug the plugs in the panel, then there are i think 4 sqrews to loosen, and the stock radio will be free. As far as a mounting kit... you need to be creative... I havn't seen one made specifically for spectra's. Best buy has a kit that says it will work for most kias... so you can try that site... or like i said, be creative.
I just ordered a Spectra5 specific mounting kit from www.autotoys.com (click the "Go Shopping Now" link, then search for "Spectra5", it will be the only item that comes up). I've ordered from them occasionally for the last 7 years or so, and they are a reliable source. Their website sucks right now even more than usual (low product selection), but they're doing a massive reinventory so that's probably why. I don't know who makes the kit yet, but I should have it sometime next week and I'll post the relevant information. Total shipped price was $30 USD, so it's not cheap (almost $12 in shipping), but it's the only one I could find. Once I have my Kenwood Excelon KDC-X689 installed (with iPod interface, though I don't have one yet) with the kit I'll post some pictures.
I've had my black Spectra5 for about a week, and other than a bad wheel speed sensor (replaced next day by dealer), so far so good! I'm 6'7" and about 335lbs and I'm pretty comfortable in it!
Jackass (your name not mine...), that is true for the Canada Spec5, as it has a single-din radio, but in the US we have a double-din radio. Makes life frustrating, since it doesn't sound too good either. We don't even get the MP3 capability that you do over the border. I have no idea why they would do them differently, it's not like we're really all that far away from each other.
The kit I received is a Metra 99-7318. Do a google for "Metra Kia 99-7318" and you'll find a picture or two of it, as well as finding a price of about $20 USD shipped. The installation was super easy, but be warned that it is REALLY, REALLY, REALLY easy to mark up the hard plastic around the console when you remove the metal-colored bezel. I used a plastic implement and I still made a ugly mark along the bottom. The kit itself is pretty good, but the deck sits REALLY far back. As it is, I still had to get out the dremel in order to make the kit work with the little trim ring that came with my deck to hide the face rotating mechanism. I'm going to rework it a little at some point in the near future to try and move the deck forward a bit. The kit would look like crap if you used the standard DIN mounting (using the "cage" that comes with the stereo), since you can't use the angled trim piece that comes with the kit. If you mount it ISO-DIN style (using brackets directly attached to the stereo), you can use that trim kit, but it still sits so far back I actually have a hard time using my volume control. I put a Kenwood Excelon KDC-X689 in there, and unlike most mid to high end units, it actually has a flat face that doesn't protrude. This kit would look much better with a deck that has a face that sticks out an inch or so. It still looks okay, but it's a little odd. I'll post pictures this weekend maybe.
BTW, the wiring harness is a 99+ Hyundai harness, pretty easy to find. Paid 4.95 for it.
Ok, here's the pics I promised. It's dark out, so please forgive the flash glare. The first set of pics you can see the installation kit by itself. The kit is angled to match the angle of the dash, so it fits nice and flush. See the angled trim piece that pops out where the deck goes in? I had to do a LOT of modifications to get that to line up correctly. Thank goodness for Dremel... You can only use this trim piece if you use the ISO-DIN brackets to mount your deck. If you use the DIN cage, the trim piece will not fit correctly. I wasn't happy with either way, because with the ISO bracket the deck was recessed over an inch and it was very difficult to use the controls, not to mention not looking great. When I tried it with the DIN cage the deck wasn't as recessed, but the angled piece wouldn't fit. Using the trim ring that came with the deck looked terrible. So what I ended up doing was using the DIN cage and cutting probably 3/8" off the back of that angled trim piece all around. Had to be careful because you can see the edges when looking at the deck. I also had to cut some notches in the din cage itself so that the tabs on that trim piece could pass through. Finally, I ended up putting tiny screws through the side of the installation kit into that angled trim piece to hold the piece in, as it wiggled around quite a bit. I ended up scuffing the bottom a little bit, but it's not very noticeable until you shine a flash at it...
I'm very happy with it now, but in order to make it look right I had to do a lot. I don't know how good it would look with any deck without doing what I did...