Kia Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my caliper on the rear passenger side has locked up. Completely. Couldn't even budge the wheel going down the road when it did. Got it disconnected and won't compress back down with a C clamp.

Will need to replace it as well as the pads. Any special tips or anything I need to know when I go buy the parts or for when I am putting them on? Looking at $56 I believe for the caliper and $20 for the pads.

I have never done this before but it doesn't look like too much of a difficult job.

Will post links to the parts in a few and hopefully someone can tell me if they will work.

Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
6,923 Posts
Some brake pistons require a piston tool like ...
Lisle - Disc Brake Piston Tool Part # 28600 $13
to drive in the piston (like a bolt).
A "C"clamp won't do it... You use it with a 3/8" ratchet and extensions to drive it in.
I replaced the pads on my wife's 07 Spectra but I really do not remember "if" I needed the tool...I think I did though.
Is the e-brake drum and shoe OK?
I bought a vacuum brake bleeder at Harbor Frieght for around $30~40 that is driven by an air compressor that made brake fluid bleeding extremely easy.
I'll be into another Spectra this Friday and looking at the rear brakes after the timing belt, AC belt, and plugs are replaced so then I can say for sure..
Dave

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That piston tool is now added to my list. Just watched a video on YouTube on it.

I haven't got in there real good to see if everything else is OK. I just made an assumption that the caliper is bad without actually putting it back into position. I guess I will buy all I need and keep my fingers crossed I can return the caliper when hopefully I don't need it.

·
Super Moderator
6,923 Posts
Brandon...
We make this a better forum helping each other.
Your repair attempts, suggestions, and comments will help others here.
Keep us posted... :)
Dave

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
A little update. I went ahead and replaced the pads and inspected the caliper on the other wheel and its fine. I have one more screw to put back in that I am having a little trouble lining up but other than that it's done. Never worked on brakes before and am proud of what I have done so far. From now on I can save some money.

The caliper I had to get wasn't in stock at the store I went to so I had to wait for it to come in from another store. They got it in a little after 6 and I got back here a little after 7. Its already a bit dark so I will try and get this one screw in and the wheel back on and I will tackle the caliper and pads on the other wheel tomorrow.

I got the parts at O'Reilly and going on the recommendation of one of the employees I used their loaner program for the caliper tools. They had the piston tool that was recommended here they did have in stock but he said it was much easier on the knuckles to use their tool. It was very easy and I will use their loaner program again if I need to. They charge $55 to use for 48 hours. Return it within that time and they refund all of your money.

I will tackle the rest tomorrow after work. Any advice on bleeding the brakes would be appreciated. Thanks for the help so far too.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Finished the job. Overall it was very easy. Considering this was my first time doing any brake job I am pretty impressed with myself. Saved a bunch of money doing this and made me feel pretty good doing the work myself. I am ready to tackle more stuff now.

I did have one problem. I couldn't get the emergency brake line to connect back on. The piece at the end of the line that connect to the lever on the caliper wouldn't fit on. It is still off. I never use the brake, in fact with the 180,000+ miles I have on the car I may have used it once. Is there another piece I can put on there that will fit easier? The lever it connects to on the caliper is shaped different and I spent probably 30 straight minutes trying to get it on.

·
Super Moderator
6,923 Posts
So the caliper was bad? You didn't say if it was really hanging up.
Was the replacement caliper a rebuilt one or an all new non OEM part?
You have a 2005 and the Spectra was made up to 2009..Maybe there was some design changes on later caliper assemblies. That's something for other Spec owners to watch out for...

I just replaced the timing belt/AC belt/and plugs on my 06 Spec SX today..
The original TB was a GATES OEM and looked like it could have gone another 40K easily. No cracks, bad teeth, or signs of major wear..
The AC belt was a generic and was on it's last leg...Lots of cracks and it was hard.
The plugs were originals and were made by Champion RC10PYPB4 the gaps were larger than .044"...I replaced them with NGK (7090) BKR5EGP G-Power Platinum Spark Plugs.
The car has only 42k miles on it but the TB was 7 yrs old..
It's remarable how quite these changes made the car..
Dave

1 - 8 of 8 Posts