Kia Forum banner

2005 Kia Spectra LX 2.0L parasitic current draw

15K views 15 replies 6 participants last post by  craigwf2 
#1 · (Edited)
Last week my parents went to use their car and it would not start. They had the battery replaced with a new battery. A day later it once again failed to start the car. They now realized something was draining the battery fast. After charging the battery I removed the negative wire and inserted my amp meter in series with the negative wire and the negative battery terminal post to measure the current draw. With everything OFF something is consuming 510 mA. When you replace the negative wire back on the battery it has a definitive spark and arching sound.

I reconnected the meter and started to pull several fuses one at a time in the passenger compartment. When I pulled the fuse labelled "Room Fuse" the current draw immediately stopped and went to zero. When I replaced the other fuses I pulled the current draw stayed at zero. But as soon as I pushed in the Room Fuse again the current draw was back again.

I found a wiring diagram on Autozone, but I'm not sure if it correctly represents this model year. Using that diagram I noticed that the trunk, glove box, dome light, radio, and digital clock are all fed by that fuse. I removed the bulbs from the trunk, and glove box sockets since I could not tell if they remained on when shut. I placed the dome light switch to OFF, I removed the radio and digital clock harness connectors, but the current draw is still there.

Yes I closed the door after each test to make sure none of the indicators on the instrument cluster interfered with the test results. I can really use some help with a correct wiring diagram for this car and advice on what else to check out. This is my parents car so as I get time I go to their home and troubleshoot the issue.

This car was manufactured on Dec 2003. It is a Kia Spectra LX 2.0L model year 2004

Thanks

See less See more
#2 ·
I'm assuming this is a LD body designated spectra(2004-2009). The room lamp fuse sends power to the following:
Cluster and warning lamps
Heater and a/c system
Room lamps, door switches
Remote keyless, door unlock switches
Bcm
Power socket, digital clock, cigar lighter
Audio
Obd connector
And sunroof system

#5 ·
You might want to disconnect the clock and also the radio as both use current from the "ROOM" fuse...
The BCM has been a "problem" for early "new" Spectras (2004.5~2005).
The ETWIS is also known as the BCM (body control module). It is actually the back of the fuse panel in the passenger compartment...
There have been problems with many intermittent circuits controlled by it....
You need to get the part number off of the BCM as there are many versions...yours is probably the simplest...
Then try a local salvage yard for a replacement. They are MUCH cheaper than from KIA Dealers..
Dave

#6 ·
Thanks DaveSpectra, I removed the radio and digital clock harness connectors. Those connectors are still disconnected.

The wiring diagram I received has two separate sets of power distribution diagrams. The first set is for the early production 2004 which is the car my parents own. The second set is for later production release. The early production uses the ETWIS and the late production model uses the BCM per the wiring diagram.

Thanks for the information as to its location. I will issue updates as I troubleshoot this issue.

#7 ·
Am I missing something 0.5 mAmps that is a trifle.
Average car has 60 amp hr battery=60,000 m Amphr of power so would take 120,000 hrs. which is probably discharge rate for battery.
The most likely draw from battery will be a faulty alternator . There are two connections to alternator plug and post the post alternator connection is live all the time battery connected. That is why you Must disconnect battery when changing alternator.

Jeff

#8 · (Edited)
I believe he is saying 510ma and the "period" was a mistake...
1/2 amp is enough to drain the battery pretty quick..

enduser9999
Here is a link to the ORIGINAL schematics for the BCM I got BEFORE kiatechinfo.com went to pay as you go...
https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B-YuNuTyh57XWms2Q3VGcUlFa2M&usp=sharing

The ETACS and BCM "names" are used interchangeably by KIA... Now the BCM is called a PCM (power train control module) in newer KIAs

Hope this helps
Dave

#11 · (Edited)
I just found this bit of information on an Electrical Service Bulletin regarding the BCM on the Kia Spectra L4-2.0L (2004)

NOTE:
The Body Control Module (BCM) logic has been improved to correct this concern as of 8/8/2008. If a BCM has been replaced on the vehicle prior to this date, even if it was P/N 91950 2F830, the BCM will still require replacement with the newest level part. Locate the label shown below which is affixed to the BCM. Compare the first 3 numbers in the lot number and the third to last digit for the year to determine weather the BCM was manufactured before or after countermeasure.

Kia Workshop Manuals > Spectra L4-2.0L (2004) > Powertrain Management > Computers and Control Systems > Relays and Modules - Computers and Control Systems > Body Control Module > Component Information > Technical Service Bulletins > Electrical - Park

>> BCM Serial number pre/after countermeasure reference
http://workshop-manuals.com/kia/spe...ark_lamps_on_and_battery_discharge/page_2422/

>> The specification when the car is dark, the current draw should be below 2mA
Kia Workshop Manuals > Spectra L4-2.0L (2004) > Powertrain Management > Computers and Control Systems > Relays and Modules - Computers and Control Systems > Body Control Module > Component Information > Technical Service Bulletins > Page 2423

#13 ·
What I find amazing is that the wiring diagram for the early production model does not have or show anywhere the BCM/ETACS. The only item connected to the ROOM FUSE is the ETWIS. But it does indeed have a BCM/ETACS. See wiring diagram link below.

Kia Spectra 2004 Early/Late production wiring diagram:
"http://expirebox.com/files/248a96c9f6883190cdebbbd808b75c7f.pdf"

Per the Technical Service Bulletin I ordered a replacement unit to meet the latest countermeasure specifications. As long as the revision is the latest, the only other requirement to make sure you are using the correct BCM/ETACS is... Does the car have Remote Keyless Entry (RKE) or not? So the only models that should be used from this point on to replace the flawed versions are:

91950 2F841 Non Remote Keyless Entry (RKE)
91950 2F851 With Remote Keyless Entry (RKE)

#14 · (Edited)
Update: Success!

I just finished installing the replacement BCM and it definitely fixed the parasitic current draw problem. I used the model with With Remote Keyless Entry (RKE) on a car without RKE and it works perfectly. I used the RKE model since it was the only one available when I purchased it on eBay. Since the car does not have RKE that function does not work.

How the new and improved BCM works:
When I installed the replacement BCM and monitored the current draw at the battery it was 224 mA or .224 Amps consumption. After 5 minutes the current draw dropped to Zero (0). This confirms a properly working unit. The Kia specification for a dark car is 2 mA or LESS. (See link on my prior post)

Notice:
Per Kia's Technical Service Bulletin you must use the latest BCM to meet the latest countermeasure specifications. All other BCM units prior to this release numbers (shown below) are a faulty design and will fail again. (See link to Kia's Technical Service Bulletin on my prior post)

Summary:
If your car does not have RKE use either of the two models shown below. If your car does have RKE then use only the model with RKE to keep that function working properly.

91950 2F841 Non Remote Keyless Entry (RKE)
91950 2F851 With Remote Keyless Entry (RKE)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.