Kia Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Kia spectra lx
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have an 05 kia spectra lx. I went in to eat at a restaurant and my low beams were working before going in. Came out and they weren't working anymore. I replaced the bulbs properly about 2 months ago. I checked the low beam fuses and swapped the relays around between the low and high beams and no change. The high beams and parking lights work just fine. As do all of the other lights on the car. I'm going to check for power at the sockets in the morning since it's 11pm right now. When I pulled the fuse box cover off from under the hood, I could hear the relay clicking when the high beams were turned on. What else could be causing this? I also wanted to note that for the last week, my low fuel light keeps flickering and stays on sometimes when driving which i think is a bad wire somewhere possibly in the gauge cluster.

·
Registered
2005 Kia spectra lx
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
adding to this, I checked for power at the sockets and there were none. I checked for power at the fuse for the low beams and there was none. But I was getting 12v at the relay. I even tested the headlight switch at the steering wheel and that had power as well. I'm at a loss of ideas right now. I'm trying to figure out how I have power at the relay, but not the fuse.

·
Registered
2019 Kia Sportage. SX with AWD. 2.0L Direct Injected Turbocharged & Intercooled Gas.
1,092 Posts
Check all your grounds as best as possible...

·
Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
6,925 Posts
Check the wire from the relay output to the low beam connection on the back of the headlight assembly... It is probably open... A 2005 is 15 years old and the wiring may be corroded... Also check the bottom of the engine compartment fuse panel at the sockets and the bottom of the relay socket... Worst case run a new wire from the relay to the headlights...
Dave

Reactions: Lou O.

·
Registered
Drives : Nissan NV200 Flies : Rans S6ES
137 Posts
Just to complete the thread...I helped the OP diagnose the problem with his low beam headlamps. It was caused by a BCM failure, which we simply bypassed to get the headlamps working again. Hopefully knowing the fix might help the next guy.

·
Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
6,925 Posts
Ah yes the BCM/ETACS headache... Numerous problems and usually never the same twice...
That looks to be the ONE problem the Spectra had the most problems with... They have been a good model for many years and many miles...
Dave

1 - 8 of 8 Posts