Kia Forum banner
21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
While it may be normal, it is not right!! I haven't tried holding it to the mat to see what happens at redline but it does cut out for a second or two before it shifts. That I can live with.... the other problems I could not.

Now at 500kms on a half tank (filled up the neck) and still going strong. It really feels like it has a 6 in it.

d

·
Registered
2005 Kia Spectra5
96 Posts
hey took my cAr in on friday. They ran some tests and found it was a simple looose connection to the tranny. TPS or something to the like. Said one wire wasnt making contact. They where also bringing up codes P0122, P0301, P0304, and P0300. But now it is running great.

·
Registered
2004.5 Kia Spectra, 2011 Kia Sportage
12 Posts
Im still having these problems with my 2004.5 EX Spectra and everytime I take it to the dealer, they tell me my car is fine!! THIS IS SO FRUSTRATING! My car can't be okay if its slamming into thrid gear!! What should I do???? :crying:

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Take the service manager for a drive. You drive, make it slam.... if he says it's normal, demand a converstion with the regional service manger.

FYI, they replaced the computer in my car and the trans works great now...

Be polite, no one likes a **** head, legit problem or not..... :)

d

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Well, after having my trans cpu replaced a few months back things seemed to be getting better but slowly start getting worse again. Replacing the trans cpu was done in hope it would have updated software........ no such luck it seems.

I went back to the dealer this week..... there is a new TSB.... another reprogramming procedure of a specific amount of throttle runs...... like before but somewhat different I guess... seems to be shifting very smoothly now....

I'm told there are 5 new trans cpu's at Kia HQ in Toronto that have a Beta software on them if this doesn't work.... we'll see.

On another note of the passenger air bag light/recall etc.....

Before the recall the light would come on and off at random..... after the recall the light will be on 99% of the time with my wife in the seat. Here is the setup for this issue......

The only time the light is on (when it's not supposed to) is with my wife in the seat... other people it works fine. My father is 5.8 and 300lbs.... I buddy of mine from work is 5.7 and 130 soaking wet..... both guys the light stays out like it should be....

Now here is the catcher... my wife is 5.3 and 200lbs...... and the damn light is on most of the time. The theory is the skinny guy fits nicely between the side bolster and put the correct amount of pressure on the senor pad (picture a heating blanket from WalMart to help sore muscles.) My dad who is much wider sits on the side bolsters as well but is much heavier and put the right amount of pressure on the pad....

Which leaves my wife... who is not as heavy as my Dad but wider then my skinny buddy..... most of her weight is on the side bolsters and there for not putting the required amount of pressure on the sensor pad.

I figured there would be a good way to prove the theory so I waited until the airbag light was on when my wife was in the seat and had her get out and take a thick towel and fold it over on itself a couple of time... place in on the middle of the seat where the pressure pad would be and then sit back down..... guess what? The damn light when out......

If you look at the NHTSA web site and look up recalls etc there is a section where people launch complaints..... there are a lot of folks with the same problem... some of which have had Kia replace the seat.. as the senor only comes with the seat.... and the problem persists.

My dealer has a seat on order but we figure if this doesn't work we have the upholstery shop just build up the seat cushion.... which would be nice as the seats are a little week anyway.

I'll let everyone know how it works out...

d

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks for the update ddire, my wife still has not taken the spectra in for that airbag recall, I keep bugging her about it and it never gets done. Glad to know Kia is working on the trans issues, maybe by the time she takes it in it will be a simple software update.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have been told (and have observed first hand) that the grade logic on the '06 Spectra's AT (and im guessing similar to 2004.5+) is very sensitive and can take hundreds of miles to learn everything it needs to know regarding shift points/feel, throttle pressure, etc.

When I had 400 or so miles on my '06 Spectra, the AT would have a 'delay' between 3rd and 4th and sometimes 2nd and 3rd (but not nearly as much).

I now have about 1600 miles on the car and have run it through the rpm range a few times, and have also given it a variety of inputs to help break it in, everywhere from tip-in acceleration to WOT acceleration.

Now, with 4x the miles on the car and having it broken in for the most part, not only does the engine feel more responsive but the transmission also shifts much crisper and doesn't have any delay between gears, regardless of throttle pressure. If any of you have driven a Honda with an AT, you know how they shift: very firmly. Once broken in and having learned everything, it seems the '06 Spectra's transmission shifts in a similar way. Not jerky like a Honda's, just solid and positive/quick. I like crisp shifts, personally, because as a general rule an automatic transmission will last longer when it shifts quickly.

Also, it has NEVER bounced off the rev limiter under ANY circumstance, so I find that odd that your dealer would call that normal.

My point here is you have to run it in a huge variety of driving conditions for the computer to fully learn everything. And once it does, I bet your problems will go away. :p

Good luck!

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
I have 60k km on the car... I think I've got the mileage needed to program the cpu.... fact of the matter is either the software is junk.. or the tranny is junk....

d

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have over 24000 miles on mine (2004.5 model), and it stills does the goofy stuff. Forget even heavy throttle, later on WOT getting on the interstate, at 60-65 it will just it the rev limiter and not shift, when passing it does the same thing. Under normal throttle it is ok, but sometimes if you don't come to a complete stop (like a yield sign) and start back off again, it will stay in 2nd gear. If it was my car to drive all the time, it would be on the used car lot.

·
Registered
2005 Kia Spectra
183 Posts
I've noticed both symptoms with my 2004.5 Spectra as well.

- The "rolling-stop-with-the-car-staying-2nd-gear" phenomenon I mentioned on here before. I've adjusted my driving habits so that if I really want to start out in 1st, I make sure that I come to a complete stop, OR I give the accelerator a good stab to make sure that it *knows* I want to downshift. I usually do the complete stop thing to be gentler on the car and gas mileage.

- The full-throttle shifts between 2nd-3rd, and 3rd-4th issue I've addressed by still using WOT (wide open throttle), but I let off the gas slightly at max RPM. When I do this, the car then always seems to be more willing to shift. I've never encountered the rev-limiter engine cut-out phenomenon however. That's probably due to my lifting-the-foot behavior.

Quirky stuff, I know. But in most daily driving experiences, I'm actually pretty happy with the shifting behavior of the tranny. It's actually a pretty smooth shifting unit under normal driving conditions.

-SM

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Well, I just went back an re read this whole thread. What an ordeal!!

I've been asking for a tranny replacement from I think 09/05 and recieved it today.

The car was reset a while back as I posted before.... worked pretty good for a while. Then became quirky again in a few hundred KMs... and I basically said screw it and kept driving. Then last week it started hitting hard again on shifts so I had a wee discussion with the service manager at my deal again. I looked him in the eye and said I think enough is enough.... we've changed software, computers and did all sorts of resets. It's time to change the tranny. He agreed to take a tranny out of another 05 with 48K on it. The donor car had the trans replace 16K ago so we agreed it would be in good shape.

So I know have 9K left on my warranty as I'm sitting at 91K KMs. Hopefully this is the end of this thread and this newish tranny lasts me another 90K KMs.

I think the service manager realized I was going to have the trans replaced one way or the other. :) I had every intention of sticking a huge yellow vinyl lemon on the sides, calling the local tv/radio/newspaper etc. Being a small town I'm sure they would see the cost associated with the bad press.

Hope everyone else with tranny issues has seen resolution.

d

·
Registered
23 Posts
ddire said:
Update,

Called Kia today, looks like they are working on a software update to the TCU.... and that all 05's have this problem..... so I know some of you must be dealing with this..... good luck.

D
buy a 5 speed! more fun!

21 - 33 of 33 Posts