Kia Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 05 Kia Sorrento that currently isn’t starting. I was having troubled starting for about a week I would have to hit the gas pedal while it’s cranking for it to turn over not it’s just cranking. I replaced the battery so far and it’s still doing the same. Pleases help me with instructions on the next steps to diagnose the problem. There is no check engine light.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
You probably don't have a code for it, but sometimes the ignition failure sensor will mess with you. Or maybe the valve timing is off or the crankshaft or camshaft sensor has gone bad. Maybe fuel pump decided it was a good day to go out. I'd get a scan tool hooked up that will read pending codes. Just because the light isn't on doesn't mean there's nothing there.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
.... I replaced the battery so far and it’s still doing the same. ....
Why did you replace the battery if it was cranking?

Not related to the problem, but just an FYI that most auto people (including myself) use 'cranking' and 'turning over' interchangeably, meaning they are the same thing. Your 'turning over' is called 'starting' or 'firing' by most folks. And yes, there is a group of people who do it your way. No big deal, because I THINK I understand what you mean.

So if it's not firing/starting up, first try spraying a SMALL bit of starter fluid or carb cleaner into the intake. The goal is to see if it will start and run for a few seconds on the outside fuel. If it does start and run, then the problem is almost certainly fuel-related. If it does not, then the problem is most likely a no-spark condition.

Once that is done, you continue to proceed down which ever path is indicated by the results of that test.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Why did you replace the battery if it was cranking?

Not related to the problem, but just an FYI that most auto people (including myself) use 'cranking' and 'turning over' interchangeably, meaning they are the same thing. Your 'turning over' is called 'starting' or 'firing' by most folks. And yes, there is a group of people who do it your way. No big deal, because I THINK I understand what you mean.

So if it's not firing/starting up, first try spraying a SMALL bit of starter fluid or carb cleaner into the intake. The goal is to see if it will start and run for a few seconds on the outside fuel. If it does start and run, then the problem is almost certainly fuel-related. If it does not, then the problem is most likely a no-spark condition.

Once that is done, you continue to proceed down which ever path is indicated by the results of that test.
Well this is for my friend idk why he replaced his battery and I’ll let him know

·
Super Moderator
9,501 Posts
I have an 05 Kia Sorrento that currently isn’t starting. I was having troubled starting for about a week I would have to hit the gas pedal while it’s cranking for it to turn over not it’s just cranking. I replaced the battery so far and it’s still doing the same. Pleases help me with instructions on the next steps to diagnose the problem. There is no check engine light.
Well this is for my friend idk why he replaced his battery and I’ll let him know
It would be best if the person could join the discussion, instead of relaying through you and the likelihood that something is missed or misunderstood.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts