Kia Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 2005 KIA Sedona with about 103000 miles. After driving it for a bit the check engine light came on. I ran it and got a code P0430 Catalyst Efficiency Below Threshold Bank 2. Of course this popped up just as I was about to get the van inspected. I cleared the code but failed inspection (I'm in NY) because it showed the sensors weren't ready. I know I have work to get done to pass but how much? What Cat would this be? Front driver, front passenger, back? Could it be a different part? How much should the part (or parts) be? I don't want to get screwed by the mechanic when I go. I just want to be prepared with as much info as possible. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
2006 Kia Sorento
1,294 Posts
2005 Kia Sedona P0430

I just bought a 2005 KIA Sedona with about 103000 miles. After driving it for a bit the check engine light came on. I ran it and got a code P0430 Catalyst Efficiency Below Threshold Bank 2. Of course this popped up just as I was about to get the van inspected. I cleared the code but failed inspection (I'm in NY) because it showed the sensors weren't ready. I know I have work to get done to pass but how much? What Cat would this be? Front driver, front passenger, back? Could it be a different part? How much should the part (or parts) be? I don't want to get screwed by the mechanic when I go. I just want to be prepared with as much info as possible. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Air leaks in manifold or in exhaust pipes.
Catalytic converter is damaged or has failed.
Stop at a muffler shop have them put it on a lift and inspect the system.
Bang the converter if rattling replace.
Possible contaminated sensors but more likely exhaust system
Ask them to show you leak or bad parts.

·
Registered
2 Posts
My 2005 Sedona same thing last week - code P0430. Local Garage replaced one catalytic converter and said they installed a 69.95 universal converter. Next day check engine light came on again with same code. I pulled the negative battery terminal and reset the codes, so far so good, but am having a friend, who has done Maryland emission inspections for 10 years, check the system out Monday. Off the top of his head he said it is possible the garage put in a smaller/cheaper converter than is required by Kia. Will let you know what happens.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Ok, got my 2005 Sedona back today. Seems the original shop replaced the wrong catalytic converter. It was the main one closest to the manifold. Next time I have any codes related to exhaust I will take it to a pro.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts