Kia Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had my 2005 Kia Sedonas engine replaced 3,100 miles ago, the work was performed Feb 17 2012. My 2005 Kia Sedona had its engine block and both heads replaced along with its inlet and exhaust valve all under warranty. Two weeks ago my Sedona was down three quarts of oil which was 2,600 miles after the work was completed. When I got an oil change yesterday my oil was down almost a quart with just over 500 miles driven since the three quarts were put in. My mechanic checked for leaks again and didn't find any and he told me to take it back to the dealership. I dropped my car off at KIA dealerhsip yesterday and went back today to get it.
They checked everything and said there were no leaks. They told me that with a new engine that it was probably burning some oil for the first and maybe second oil change. I told my mechanic and he said he never heard of such a thing. He said to check the oil once a week and if its to go down again to take it back to KIA because this should not happen. Everything was checked for leaks at KIA dealership and they said there wasn't any signs of leaks. I don't know much about engines but I know when I bought my van with 26 miles on it there was no sign of a new engine burning oil. If anyone knows anthing on this your help would be great.

·
Super Moderator
1995 Procharged Mustang Cobra, 2021 K5 GT Line
4,818 Posts
Sounds like it's burning oil. If that's the case there is somthing wrong with the reman engine. Take it back to the dealer that did your warranty work on the remaned engine.
Glad to hear that you did get the engine covered under warranty!!!!!

·
Registered
2001 Kia Carnival 2.5L manual & 2000 Carnival Auto
320 Posts
G'day

First, check if it was a re-manufactured engine, or one of the new ones.
And I'm talking the K5 2.6L petrol engine here.

You need to specify what type of engine variant you have...

·
Registered
2016 Sorento, 2004 Sedona
2 Posts
I'm having the same issue as the OP with my 2004 (3.5L V6). My engine was replaced less than 10k ago after several service appointments because it was losing oil, and after it's first real test (drove it 1500 miles on vacation), I lost 3.5 quarts of oil. The dealer told me today that they can find no evidence of a leak or that the engine is burning the oil. Going back to the dealer to "fight" it out tomorrow... Interested to hear how yours turns out as well...

·
Registered
'02 Sedona 3.5L
75 Posts
The way the engine burns oil appears to be possible damage to the engine parts including block cylinder liners, pistons, rings, rods, crankshaft, etc. If the dealer swap your engine with a rebuilt, it batter not be just threw in some new rings.

Just keep this in mind when you go to the dealer on this issue, normal or new engine will not burn that much oil regardless!

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,235 Posts
A quart every 1000 miles is way too much. New engines tend to use a little bit of oil, but maybe only pint in the first 3000 miles, and virtually nothing after that, in my experience.

Assuming that the oil is being burnt, at least some of the spark plugs should be looking a bit sooty. I would think about trying a heavier grade of oil, but it really sounds like a warranty issue.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts