Kia Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All!

I am in Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada.

I just got a brand new 2005 KIA SEDONA LX (9 days ago) and we were very happy and satisfied with it until I had a remote (command) start installed and the steering wheel became stiff you can't even steer it.

My KIA dealer claims that the remote start kit was defective so they couldn't install it properly. I had to come back some other time to complete the installation. We observed after it was unsuccessfully installed that the speaker sound was affected, the upholstery was damaged and the heater wasn't warming up that fast anymore.

Just before I was about to go back to the dealer for the completion of the remote starter, the power steering problem came up. The Service Manager claims that it was due to the extreme cold Winnipeg was experiencing. He said that he had at least 60 KIA vehicles in with the same problem.

We are really frustrated with this. We decided on buying a brand new car to avoid all the hassle of repairs and here we are just on our 9th day back to the dealer for what I would think is a major repair right away!

My first question - is KIA not aware of the temperature extremes in Canada, especially Winnipeg. How could they use power steering fluid that would freeze and cause problems when the temperature drops to -40C when they should know that temperatures here go as low as -50C?

My final question - is it possible to ask my dealer to give me a brand new car of the same color and model because they damaged the first one they gave me - a lemon law?

Thank you for your feedback.

Troner

·
Premium Member
2015 Buick Verano "Leather Group", 2015 Kia Optima Hybrid
6,127 Posts
Originally posted by troner@Jan 18 2005, 02:53 AM
Hi All!

I am in Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada.

I just got a brand new 2005 KIA SEDONA LX (9 days ago) and we were very happy and satisfied with it until I had a remote (command) start installed and the steering wheel became stiff you can't even steer it.

My KIA dealer claims that the remote start kit was defective so they couldn't install it properly. I had to come back some other time to complete the installation. We observed after it was unsuccessfully installed that the speaker sound was affected, the upholstery was damaged and the heater wasn't warming up that fast anymore.

Just before I was about to go back to the dealer for the completion of the remote starter, the power steering problem came up. The Service Manager claims that it was due to the extreme cold Winnipeg was experiencing. He said that he had at least 60 KIA vehicles in with the same problem.

We are really frustrated with this. We decided on buying a brand new car to avoid all the hassle of repairs and here we are just on our 9th day back to the dealer for what I would think is a major repair right away!

My first question - is KIA not aware of the temperature extremes in Canada, especially Winnipeg. How could they use power steering fluid that would freeze and cause problems when the temperature drops to -40C when they should know that temperatures here go as low as -50C?

My final question - is it possible to ask my dealer to give me a brand new car of the same color and model because they damaged the first one they gave me - a lemon law?

Thank you for your feedback.

Troner
well to the first question I know the feeling of almost frozen fluids. When it gets below zero out all my stuff (clutch, steering) gets stiff. the fluid is only made to work in certain temps. its cold here alos this moring wind chill is -27 below. just let it warm up extra time for all the fluids to get warm. should solve the problem.
second question is some dealers do give you a 30 day you can bring it back if not satisfied. just ask them or go to dealer and see if you can see a sign that says something like this...
hope this helps and welcome to the site.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi Troner,
I am also in Winnipeg. We now have only one dealer in town. I also had the same problem with my power steering fluid last winter.... remember when it got to -52c? I lost the fluid.... pressure of the frozen fluid pushed the low pressure hose off its connection. The dealer replaced the fluid with a synthetic fluid and since then I have had no more problems. Check with our local dealer on Regent and they know the answer. I find them very helpful and good to deal with. Not like Holiday... no wonder they are no more. Email me if you want to compare notes.

·
Registered
3 Posts
live in Mass Usa it hit minus 14F a few times this winter I have a 2004 Sedona it started right up and ran fine took a while to warm up but cold does not seem to bother the fluids. We had a 3ft blizzard her in Jan and it was well below zero F. I was to lazy to clean out my drive way I drove right thew 2-3 feet of plowed snow I was very impressed. If I see any problems it takes a while to heat up by the time its warm I'm at work but it is a big van and I only commute about 13 mi one way. I really like it first good Van I bought had a few Dodge and a crappy ford wind star POS.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I am in Thunder Bay Ontario and it gets dam cold -40 and the 04 sedona ran great. I am more than thrilled with the purchase of this vehicle and would let anyone know about it. If you need help with your vehicle I was told that all Canadain tire dealers are authorized to do work on Kia vehicles and yes that is warranty work. So you should never have to worry.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts